Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGuy1000

Reaction score
I am going to build a grain mill when I get back like thisone http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Sam's-Motorized-Grain-Mill but the motor I want has been discontinued it was a 117.7 rpm motor from surpluscenter.com, I know they sold another motor that was 105.7 rpm but it has also been discontinued. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can get another one or something that works just as good, any ideas would be appreciated.

Check eBay, you can run across motors in the right rpm and torque range once in a while. Just bear in mind that the shaft size from the motor may be a different diameter than the one in the web page so you may have to get a different sized coupler. I accidentally bought a 3 phase Bodine motor without realizing it off EBay. I'm glad I did now because with a phase converter/variable frequency drive I have absolute control over speed. My point is be flexible in regards to the build and you may end up with something that works for you better. If you go the route I did & need any help let me know. I have a thread on here with my build. Good luck.

Buy a cheap 110-120 vac motor (1/3-1/2 hp) and hook it up to one of these:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=13-175-10-S&catname=powerTrans

pWWEGRSC.jpg

You can also get an AC gear motor from McMaster-Carr. Then just get a coupler to go from the motor shaft to the mill shaft. At <$55 for the motor (face mount), it's a pretty good deal, IMO. The coupling (to my Monster Mill) would run another ~$38. But with not having any belts, pulley's and such to contend with, it's a viable option. Just need to get something to hold the motor, mill, and catch bucket(s) and go from there. :rockin:

You can also get an AC gear motor from McMaster-Carr. Then just get a coupler to go from the motor shaft to the mill shaft. At <$55 for the motor (face mount), it's a pretty good deal, IMO. The coupling (to my Monster Mill) would run another ~$38. But with not having any belts, pulley's and such to contend with, it's a viable option. Just need to get something to hold the motor, mill, and catch bucket(s) and go from there. :rockin:

what exact motor are you referring to for under $55 ??

it looks like you would be stuck at 10 rpm's or so. that is pretty slow, but i guess if you flip a switch and do something else it's not really a big deal.

How do you figure that when the motor is 150rpm?? Granted it's only 5 ft# of torque. Since that's directly connected to the mill shaft, you won't have any loss due to pulley's and belt. Worst case, you start the motor and then fill the hopper. Or set it up and test before the return policy runs out.

"AC Gearmotor W/Fan, Face Mnt, 150 rpm, 5 in-lbs Torque, 115 VAC"

How do you figure that when the motor is 150rpm?? Granted it's only 5 ft# of torque. Since that's directly connected to the mill shaft, you won't have any loss due to pulley's and belt. Worst case, you start the motor and then fill the hopper. Or set it up and test before the return policy runs out.

"AC Gearmotor W/Fan, Face Mnt, 150 rpm, 5 in-lbs Torque, 115 VAC"

"ft#" does not equal in-lbs.

Are you actually using this motor? Seems like it would be way overmatched by any substantial mill.

The motor itself looks pathetic and 40 in-lbs is the torque you would need (for a big mill); the 25 in-lb model would probably be suitable for a barley crusher. Even still, at 20 RPM's a milling session would take quite some time.

This motor is poor suggestion and the OP would be better off searching Ebay or Craigslist.

I assumed it was foot pounds, didn't see the inch pounds... DOH!!!!

I've not motorized my mill yet... I need to take care of a few other things first. For now, my DeWalt 18v cordless hammerdrill does a fine job of powering it (in the low RPM range).

Looks like I'll be going back to the pulley system for the mill, when I get there. Unless there's a supplier for motors that can direct attach and do a proper job of things.

I assumed it was foot pounds, didn't see the inch pounds... DOH!!!!

I've not motorized my mill yet... I need to take care of a few other things first. For now, my DeWalt 18v cordless hammerdrill does a fine job of powering it (in the low RPM range).

Looks like I'll be going back to the pulley system for the mill, when I get there. Unless there's a supplier for motors that can direct attach and do a proper job of things.

I used the same cordless as you for a while with great results. In fact, my efficiency dropped when I motorized; due to the lower milling RPM's I assume.

1/2 HP motors can be found on Ebay/Craigs for great prices quite often. Ad a 1.5" pulley to the motor and 12" pulley to the mill and you'll be set!

I agree with your thoughts regarding ditching the belts and pulleys though. My system occasionally slips with conditioned malt or wheat. Not a big deal, but I don't really like it.

I am seriously considering that gear reducer posted earlier. Seems like a good price. I might go with the 15:1 for my MM3 2.0; that thing is a freakn torque hog.

If you can score a good right angle gear motor on Ebay; It is pretty easy to motorize your mill on a platform that neatly fits on top of a bucket. I think that is the most efficient method a guy can put together.

I do like how portable my current setup is, using the drill. I have the MM2-2.0 mill, with the hardened steel rollers. :rockin: :ban: Thing sounds down-right EVIL when it's going through grain. I also got the base, hopper, and hopper extension at the same time. Gives me up to 39# capacity. I put 30# into the hopper yesterday. Not sure if a full 39# would actually fit in the hopper though.

For the pulleys, and such, I was looking to get the rpm to about 150-200 to the mill shaft. I did source some pulley's for the mill side, but haven't bought anything yet. Not about to until I have (at the very least) something to mount it all to and a line on a motor. I suppose I could do a two pulley setup for this. That could get me closer to where I want it to be. But, as I mentioned, there are other things that are a higher priority.

BTW, I have to used the side handle on the drill when running it. That mother has so much torque (in the low RPM range) that it almost rips out of your hands when on the mill [otherwise].

The reason I'm selling my motorized Barley Crusher (earlier post) is that I upgraded to the MM3-2.0. Initially I tried to power it off my old 40 in-lb gear motor (the one I'm selling with the Barley Crusher) ... no way. I couldn't even make it budge. I had to upgrade to a 1HP AC motor and a 10:1 gear reducer which doesn't have a problem. I definitely didn't want to deal with a belt and pulley system (safety, weird configuration for mill table, etc.). If I were a little more patient, I might have found decent lower priced stuff on eBay. I ended up buying new stuff on surpluscenter.com.

Here is what I did for a grain mill motor. Found someone throwing out an old 1/2" drill motor, took off handles put on a variable speed controller. Everything else is homemade. It works very well so far.

DSCN0417[1].jpg

DSCN0417[2].jpg

Looking to do something similar to this with a used harbor freight drill I got cheap off eBay.

Took it apart today looks like the drill would be relatively easy to remove the plastic handle and separate the speed control and trigger,
Though the variable speed control may be even easier

Can you explain what you did there

The drill is an old 1950's model all metal handles and such. The back handle came off leaving a spot to rest the back on the plywood support. I put a small pipe nipple where the other handle was, through the plywood on the bottom to hold it stable. I removed the trigger switch and handle and made an aluminum plate to cover the hole in the motor. I then drilled a hole in it to accept the pipe nipple for the outlet box. Put in an adjustable speed control. It has worked pretty good, though it may be turning a little to fast. Just found out how to adjust the speed down a little more, but have not tried it on grain since.

The drill is an old 1950's model all metal handles and such. The back handle came off leaving a spot to rest the back on the plywood support. I put a small pipe nipple where the other handle was, through the plywood on the bottom to hold it stable. I removed the trigger switch and handle and made an aluminum plate to cover the hole in the motor. I then drilled a hole in it to accept the pipe nipple for the outlet box. Put in an adjustable speed control. It has worked pretty good, though it may be turning a little to fast. Just found out how to adjust the speed down a little more, but have not tried it on grain since.

I think we have one of those... Looked at it on Turkey Day in fact. On the label it lists a max RPM of 450. :eek: Thinking about it this way, I could get a pulley wheel to lock into the chuck that's 1-2" in diameter and just use one twice that size on the mill shaft. Then no dickering needs to be done with the electronics. :D :rockin:

Back