Born again brewer. Is climate going to be an issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlen

Reaction score
So I brewed for a few years back in Scotland and then stopped when I moved back in with my Dad for a while. (He's a recovering alcoholic and it felt more than a little cruel to brew in his damn house.)
At any rate, I moved to Boise, Idaho and am about to get back into brewing.
Now, I'll probably be starting with a friend's old Mr. Beer and inching my way back up from there. I have my copy of how to brew and a friend in a local brew club as well as friends who brew amazing things.
I've got good connections and I know I'll be back into mash brewing relatively soon.

Here's my question, the baking here is different because of the more arid climate. Is the brewing going to have similar issues? Is there anything I should be watching out for?

Not sure of your elevation but your boil temperature may be lower and your boil off volume may be higher due to the lower humidity levels, also dependent upon the vigor of your boil. Otherwise I would see no other concerns but perhaps someone in your area could chime in.

Welcome back to the hobby, Cheers!

No, you really aren't high enough for the boil temperature (and hence bittering) to be impacted much. You might see higher boil-off rates, but that's a minor problem.

Welcome back to the States Arlen! Never been, but I'm told Idaho is beautiful country. How long were you over in Scotland? What were the local brews like over there?

I grew up in Scotland and moved to Idaho to live with my wife who is from Boise. I love it here but its definitely very different from back home.
The elevation here is a lot higher than Scotland but I can't see, from any of the charts I'm looking at, that it'll be enough to make a big difference. My boils will be a lot longer if boiling eggs here is anything to go by, though!
I was mainly worried that my temperatures and yeasts would be a big issue but I guess not.

As far as the difference in beers, well, the average joe really loves lagers but you'll find a lot more average folk in Scotland who prefer a stout or a good heavy ale to a lager or pale ale. In general it seems like there's less fear of aromatic beers back in Scotland and people are a little more willing to experiment with flavours. The alcohol content is generally higher.
That said, people here will like a sour or a Belgian more than your average Scot will.

Welcome to Idaho! I'm a baker as well a brewer and I can tell you that altitude doesn't matter as much as people say it does unless you are halfway to Everest. You can follow any directions here or in your book no problem.

Welcome to Idaho! I'm a baker as well a brewer and I can tell you that altitude doesn't matter as much as people say it does unless you are halfway to Everest. You can follow any directions here or in your book no problem.

Thanks! My main issue is with the rising. I'm used to a damper climate so things will rise fast and easy. Here I really have to pull out some tricks to get things to rise half so well!

Back