Using grill controllers on a propane cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakotamangus

Reaction score
So first off, thanks. This is my first post, though I have stalked this forum for answers for years. It is a great resource, and I really appreciate it.

After years of extract brewing and the occasional rube goldberg style all grain brewing events, I am finally building out an all grain rig. Question is about the propane controls. I have a Bayou Classic BG12 and a Camp Chef SHPRL. Both came mated with 10 PSI regulators. Right now I have the tank run to a propane manifold that attaches each regulated line separately. But I have an idea, that I could use the controllers off a gas grill, mounted on the front of the rig to fine tune the flame. There are lots of dealers out there that sell the controllers, but I what little I have found about them seems to indicate they very low pressure rated (5 PSI).

Anyone tried this? Here's the sort of thing I have in mind:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E62CU...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0024E62CU

I use these needle valves available from Bayou Classic

Needle Valve

bcnv108p_needle_valve.jpg

They allow me great control to keep a steady boil going without wasting propane.

NewToys2.JPG

No mounting nut.

The black pipe that carries the propane to each of the control valves holds them in place. I then run flex tubing to each of my burners.

The black pipe that carries the propane to each of the control valves holds them in place. I then run flex tubing to each of my burners.

Makes sense, I will try that. Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll post some pictures when done.

Back