DFH 90 minute IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I'm looking to Clone the 90 minute IPA from DFH. I just tried it this past weekend and really liked it but locally its over 3$ a bottle.

What I'm hoping people can help me with is tweaking the recipe a bit and deciding on a yeast. A "flavorful English ale yeast" is what Andy Tveekrem(from DFH in the BYO interview) said to use.

Also, I've never dry-hopped or brewed high gravity so this will be a first for both of those. Obviously the yeast will be affected by the HG.

Finally, I was wondering if there is any really good place to buy ingredients in bulk.

My set up is: limit of 3 gal boils. 5 gallon batches. I'm still doing extract brewing.

Here's the recipe:

90-Minute IPA clone (Dogfish Head) from BYO
(5 gallons/19L, all-grain)
OG = 1.088 FG = 1.021
IBU = 90 SRM = 13 ABV - 8.7%

Ingredients
16.5 lbs. Pilsner malt(considering using 2-row instead)
1.66 lbs. amber malt (35 *L)
16 AAU Amarillo hops (90-0 mins)
(2.0 oz. of 8% alpha acids)
8.0 AAu Simcoe hops (90-0 mins)
(0.62 oz. of 13% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Warrior hops (90-0 mins)
(0.53 oz. of 15% alpha acids)
1 oz. Amarillo hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Simcoe hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Warrior hops (dry hops)
1 tsp. Iriish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale) yeast
.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Mash in at 122 *F (50 *C), then raise the temp. to 149 *F (65 *C) until conversion is complete. Mash out to 170 *F (77 *C). Boil the wort for 105 minutes. Starting with 90 minutes left in the boil, begin slowly and evenly adding hops to the kettle. (This works out to a little over .25 oz. of hops every 7.5 minutes.) Start fermentation at 71 *F (22 *C) and let raise to 74 *F (23 *C). Dry hop in secondary at 71 *F for 3-5 days, then cool to 32 *F (0 *C).

Extract Option:
Replace Pilsner malt with 8.0 lbs. dried malt extract and 1.75 lbs. of Pilsner Malt. Steep crushed grains in 1.1 gallons (4 L) of water at 150 *F (66 *C) for 45 minutes. Follow the remaining instuctions in the all-grain recipe.

hey how did this recipe come out for you? Anything like the original? I also want to do an extract version of the 90 min, any suggestions would be great!
Thanks

I made both the 90 1x and the 120 2x using the recipes found on the brewing network. They all came out great for me and I used 1056 American Ale for the yeast in both along with the 2nd yeast for the 120. You do need to keep to the hop schedule and give the beer plenty of time to condition. It will be extremely hoppy for the first 2-3 months but mellows out nicely.

Back