My 2 First Batches. Questions :) (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbonnel

Reaction score
Hi All,

So, I am doing 2 brews right now, a Belgian Wit, and a pale ale.

Question 1:

I started the Wit 2 weeks ago today, and it still seems to be fermenting away in my primary. (things moving around in there quite a bit, and the chunks are orange peels) Temperature has been around 64 - 66, with the occasional dip down to 62ish and up to 68ish. (When I first put the wort in my carboy, I put it in the basement which was a tad bit too cold (58 - 60) so nothing happened for the first 24 hours. I moved it up to a higher floor, and things started moving. I am hoping it will start to finish up here!

Here are some pictures, does everything look "normal"? I had a original gravity of 1.054.

IMG_0062small.jpg

IMG_0065small.jpg

Question 2:

The pale ale was in the primary for days, and all fermentation seemed to stop. The kraeusen disappeared, with just a little bit of foam on top. (lots of sediment on the bottom). I racked it too my secondary. My original gravity was 1.050, and when I racked it into the secondary it was 1.012. Now for my question, I am noticing these small white dots that look like foam with small bubbles in it. Any idea what this could be? Infection, last gasp of fermentation? If I slightly move the carboy, to let the beer move around some, it would appear the little white "dots" separate a little, almost like soap in water. I have a nice layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy, so a lot of things have fallen out of suspension.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0061small.jpg

IMG_0056small.jpg

IMG_0052small.jpg

Thanks for your time. Hopefully my pale ale is OK! Hoping to keg it on Friday for drinking on Sunday!

Kimo

It all looks good to me....

The pale may not be at it's best if u keg fri and drink Sunday.... But so long as u don't kick the keg on Sunday at least you'll get a chance to taste it as it ages over a couple weeks...

The Wit looks awesome.....I can't wait to brew one again. As for the pale I noticed the same thing on a pale I brewed and it I was just little bubbles collecting on the top.

Krausens are like snowflakes or something.

Looks great. Any idea where I can get that awsome stick-on beer thermometer you have?

Mine if for aquariums, and the range isn't the best.

I use aquarium thermometers available at pet shops. They range from 64 to 86, and cost about $2 a piece. They aren't the most accurate, but they give a rough idea. I also use an aquarium heater in a plastic tote to control my temps.

Back