Easy Hop Drying Oast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked a good sized amount of hops today. Loaded up my oast and thought, last time I did this I couldn't share photos because I was a HBT Freeloader.

Anyhow here is my Hops Oast. I made use of an old dresser or chest of drawers from the basement.

3761-HopOast001.jpg

1st I removed the drawers, then drilled holes into the bottoms. (Used a hole saw.)

3761-HopOast004.jpg

Then I got some bulk do-it-yourself reusable furnace filters and cut them to size so I could line the drawer.

3761-HopOast003.jpg

I rigged a fan to blow air up through the bottom. I usually leave the top drawer cracked open so the moist air gets pushed out. Drying usually takes 3 days.

3761-HopOast007.jpg

How about Alton Brown's method of drying beef jerky? Get a bunch of home air handler filter panels (use the non fiberglass ones) and sandwich your hops between them and attach the stack to a box fan. Probably much less bulky than a single task dresser like that.

Bobby_M said:
How about Alton Brown's method of drying beef jerky? Get a bunch of home air handler filter panels (use the non fiberglass ones) and sandwich your hops between them and attach the stack to a box fan. Probably much less bulky than a single task dresser like that.

Yes maybe so, but I have a dresser that not being used and I had furnace filter material. I also have a much greater capacity for drying hops than you would with the stacked filters. There's a limit of how high you could stack them without it getting all wobbly and having a fan sitting on top. Not to mention you would start crushing the hops.

With my set-up I could fill the drawers full of hops and fluff them once a day. It's also a lot easier to keep the different hop types separate. One drawer, one hop type. I only have two types...

I could still use it store home brew stuff if I wanted. I just never thought of what I'd put in the thing. I'd rather keep my gear in dust free boxes anyhow.

The pro's use an oast similar to this for drying hops I saw one pictured in my hop book and thought that using this set-up was easier than making an Oast. The typical oast has a box frame with a screen attached to the base and has short stubby legs. The frames are all stacked on top of each other with the top frame covered with plywood. Hot air is pumped into the top via a hair dryer. The hops are supposed to be away from daylight too once picked so this does a good job of drying and sheltering them.

Oooh! I just moved an old dresser to my new brewing area. This will work perfectly! I will still be able to use it for brew gear 95% of the year, and it can double up as an oast! I even already have all the bits I need! THANKS!! :D

Worked well for me when I found an ad on craigslist that simply read "free hops-u harvest" and listed an address. I felt like a hopburglar but the mystery ale was a hit!

Worked well for me when I found an ad on craigslist that simply read "free hops-u harvest" and listed an address. I felt like a hopburglar but the mystery ale was a hit!

So how did you dry them? I assume these were wild hops or a leftover variety from a one time home owner/brewer.

So how did you dry them? I assume these were wild hops or a leftover variety from a one time home owner/brewer.

I used the alton brown box fan method, I had used it before to make jerky. It took a little more than a day to dry.

As for the variety, who knows! they were definitely low aa hops, maybe just decorative. I made a SMaSH with english pale and some re harvested yeast.

Malty beer but quaffable and total cost was just 9 lbs of grain!

Interesting. I've been wanting to grow my own hops, but don't actually know where to begin; aka: where to find seeds and/or clones. >_<

you can buy hop rhizomes from midwest brewing supply ,but they only sell them in the early spring but its only 5 bucks or so for a plant and they come back every year where you plant them

It's still informative and useful information. I didn't know they come back each year so thanks for that info.

Genius! I've been thinking about building an oast for next year's hop harvest, but this...this seems much easier! And I can probably pick up a cheap dresser at a garage sale for cheaper than I could have bought materials for.

Back