Free Technical Brewing Books!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
...at the local library. I've been utilizing my local library's interlibrary loan request system. If they can't find the book you request, they always seem to buy it for their shelves. I think a lot of libraries operate the same way.

Try it out - it usually doesn't even take very long.

Libraries are an underutilized resource! Don't forget to ask about peer review journal articles. I get tons because of work that way.

Good post :mug:

Ive read every brewing book at my local library atleast twice! Havent used the interlibrary loan yet but i should. I highly recommend checking out your local library for brewing books.

What are libraries?

If libraries want to be useful they should get on the Nook and Kindle bandwagon. Having to actually GO to a library is a waste... books can come to us now.

And really... who has time for "card catalogs" when we have Google?? Libraries are on their way out! I love my local library... ;-)

What are libraries?

If libraries want to be useful they should get on the Nook and Kindle bandwagon. Having to actually GO to a library is a waste... books can come to us now.

Libraries: Retirement villages for books and movies :D

Checkout OverDrive: http://www.overdrive.com/

If your library is not a part of OverDrive you can request it. This is an E-book reposistory. The Lubbock Library system is on OverDrive and I can download movies(PC and handheld), books, audiobooks, etc.

If your library is not a part of OverDrive you can request it. This is an E-book reposistory. The Lubbock Library system is on OverDrive and I can download movies(PC and handheld), books, audiobooks, etc.

Now THAT is cool.

I find the google book scanning to be incredibly useful. I was trying to find historical information on a tiny island in the Caribbean and was able to find a really good paper on a botany survey that was done over 100 years ago. Quite incredible considering just how small and out of the way this island is.

I think a lot of libraries operate the same way.

Ones that have money, at least. My local library is basically a bunch of discarded romance novels and old college textbooks.

Now THAT is cool.

It is great if you have long road trips or commutes. The movie selection is OK, but it is better than buying movies formatted for you handheld.

I haven't needed to do the audiobook selection, but the next road trip I am going to try it.

Ones that have money, at least. My local library is basically a bunch of discarded romance novels and old college textbooks.

If you have a local college or university, ask about a guest library card. Many of them will loan books to non-students at shorter checkout intervals and higher fines. Plus, they will be members of larger interlibrary loan networks, including pdf availability of journal articles.

I think I am a library nerd. I have always gravitated to libraries more than anything else in school. :p

...at the local library. I've been utilizing my local library's interlibrary loan request system. If they can't find the book you request, they always seem to buy it for their shelves. I think a lot of libraries operate the same way.

Try it out - it usually doesn't even take very long.

Out of curiosity... what books were you able to find? You should start a list.

I did the same. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/short-cash-want-more-brew-knowledge-public-library-rescue-111818/

Here is what I have access to, that I have asked for so far at least.
1. Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.
2. New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan.
3. The Brewer's Companion by Randy Mosher.
4. Principles of Brewing Science - 2nd Ed. by George Fix.
5. A Textbook of Brewing, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 by Jean De Clerck, translated by Kathleen Barton-Wright.
6. Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow.
7. Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the European Tradition by Phil Markowski.
8. Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.
9. Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione.
10. Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.
11. How To Brew by John Palmer.
12. Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus.
13. Classic Beer Styles Series published by the American Homebrewers Association (AHA).
a. Vienna/Oktoberfest/Marzen
b. Porter by Terry Foster
c. Belgian Ale
d. German Wheat Beer by Eric Warner
e. Scotch Ale by Greg Noonan
f. Bock by Darryl Richman
g. Stout Book by Michael J. Lewis
h. Barley Wine Book
i. Alt Book
j. Kolsch Book by Eric Warner
k. Brown Ale by Ray Daniels and Jim Parker
l. Pale Ale Revised Edition by Terry Foster
m. Bavarian Helles Book by Horst Dornbusch
n. Smoked Beers Book by Ray Daniels and Geoff Larson​

This is interesting. I did a search on B&N for ebooks and got the following return:

Brewing and liquor interests and German progaganda: Hearings before a subcommittee of the Committee on the judiciary. United States Senate, Sixty-fifth Congress, second and third sessions, pursuant to S. res. 307. a resolution authorizing and directi

This is what is great about being a student at a large university. Almost any book in the world is at my fingertips or is just overnight to a couple days wait for a request.

Has OverDrive changed the way they handle audiobooks yet? I tried a few from my local library, but it was a huge PITA. See, I want audiobooks I can listen to in one of two ways: In the car, or on my ipod.

The last time I tried to use Overdrive for an audiobook, the only player it would work with was Windows Media player. To listen to the book in my car, I had to use my laptop and some shady software to strip the DRM, so I could turn the protected format into something I could load onto my ipod and plug into the car stereo.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Force me to pirate an audiobook just so I could listen to it on the single most popular portable media player in the world? Stupid.

I'm about to take the plunge on a nook from Barnes and Noble. Here's hoping that libraries and publishers can figure out something workable. If not, the publishers and libraries who won't move out of the 20th century are going to end up as buggy whip salesmen.

Has OverDrive changed the way they handle audiobooks yet? I tried a few from my local library, but it was a huge PITA. See, I want audiobooks I can listen to in one of two ways: In the car, or on my ipod.

The last time I tried to use Overdrive for an audiobook, the only player it would work with was Windows Media player. To listen to the book in my car, I had to use my laptop and some shady software to strip the DRM, so I could turn the protected format into something I could load onto my ipod and plug into the car stereo.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Force me to pirate an audiobook just so I could listen to it on the single most popular portable media player in the world? Stupid.

I'm about to take the plunge on a nook from Barnes and Noble. Here's hoping that libraries and publishers can figure out something workable. If not, the publishers and libraries who won't move out of the 20th century are going to end up as buggy whip salesmen.

This is off of the Lubbock Library site:
With OverDrive Media Console v3.2, most WMA Audiobooks are iPod®-compatible! In just a few clicks, send titles to your Windows®-formatted iPod; the 'Plays on' icons at this site indicate iPod-compatibility.

And off of the Overdrive site.

An OverDrive Audiobook is the digital version of a book on tape or book on CD. Patrons may listen to a spoken word audiobooks on their computers or transfer to a variety of portable devices, including the iPod®. Many audiobooks can also be burned to CD. OverDrive Audiobooks are specifically engineered to provide the best audiobook listening experience.

It seems that may have opened the formats since the last time you tried it.

Glad to hear it. I just ordered a nook from Barnes and Noble yesterday, so I expect to be using overdrive through my local library for ebooks soon.

Oh, man I hate that whole OverDrive system. It wouldn't be quite so bad if I could actually use it anywhere but on my laptop using their crappy software. That, plus I also have to wait 6 months for the title to be available to check out, and then it always becomes available at an inconvenient time, like when I have travel planned, etc. but I only have a short window where I'm allowed to have the media checked out.

Out of the 20 or so times I've tried using that system, roughly 3/4 of them I have ended up just finding the damn title somewhere else due to the inconvenience factor. There was one time where I was able to burn some overdrive audiobooks to CD to listen to in my car, which accounts for the other 1/4.

Back