Brewing 1 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
I would like to start out brewing (approximately)1 Gallon batches.

Somebody at the homebrew club meeting today was explaining how much simpler it would be and how much better it would work in my case.

I'm just trying to stir up some discussion about the 1 gallon method. The brewpot might seem more feasible (you might already have one) and its easier to cool 1 gallon of wort down.

I'm sure there are a bunch of pros and cons to this method but I think it will be a good method for myself. The biggest question that I have is: Where do I get recipes that will work (easily) with this method? I'm guessing that any extract batch can be divided by 5 (for the most part) but I have only really looked at liquid extract "kits".

I'm guessing that I would find a recipe for a Dry malt extract, right?

Any recipe would work - just divide everything by 5 (or whatever the original volume was). I've done some 3 gallon batches, but never a 1 gallon. Given my equipment, I can get close to all-grain, full boils with a 3 gallon batch.

A 1 gallon batch will only yield you 8 or 9 bottles of beer. You still need to spend the same amount of time to clean and sanitize and brew and ferment as you would for a 3 or 5 gallon batch, so I'm not sure it would be worth it. Most 1 gallon batches I've seen discussed are for experimental purposes - trying a few things for comparison so a larger batch is split into a series of 1 gallon batches.

Any recipe would work - just divide everything by 5 (or whatever the original volume was). I've done some 3 gallon batches, but never a 1 gallon. Given my equipment, I can get close to all-grain, full boils with a 3 gallon batch.

A 1 gallon batch will only yield you 8 or 9 bottles of beer. You still need to spend the same amount of time to clean and sanitize and brew and ferment as you would for a 3 or 5 gallon batch, so I'm not sure it would be worth it. Most 1 gallon batches I've seen discussed are for experimental purposes - trying a few things for comparison so a larger batch is split into a series of 1 gallon batches.

I guess to me it seems like I could do it cheaper. Smaller carboys, Smaller Kettle (can do it indoors). This is my way of thinking. I won't drink a ton of beer either and I think I would benefit from 1 gallon batches. I do however know where you are coming from with the larger batches are basically the same amount of cleanup. I guess the only thing holding me back is the cost of a large burner/kettle and even a chiller.

I guess to me it seems like I could do it cheaper. Smaller carboys, Smaller Kettle (can do it indoors). This is my way of thinking. I won't drink a ton of beer either and I think I would benefit from 1 gallon batches. I do however know where you are coming from with the larger batches are basically the same amount of cleanup. I guess the only thing holding me back is the cost of a large burner/kettle and even a chiller.

FWIW: I do all my brewing indoors on an electric range. I use a 3-gallon stock pot. I now do partial mashes, but started with all extract. When I do 5 gallon batches, I have to top up the fermenter with 2.5-3 gallons of tap water. When I do 3 gallon batches, I only have to top off with 0.5-1 gallons.

So, basically, you don't need a lot of big, expensive equipment to brew even 5 gallons, let alone 3 gallons. You don't need a chiller - some ice, water, and a sink will work just fine.

I get what you are saying about doing things cheaper, but 8 beers isn't going to last you very long and you'll be brewing another batch soon. You can do a 1 gallon batch, but my gut tells me that you'll be wishing you brewed more.

There is no point in a 1 gallon batch. I could drink that in a night! The amount of effort you will put in you might as well do a minimum of 3 if not 5 gallons.

FWIW: I do all my brewing indoors on an electric range. I use a 3-gallon stock pot. I now do partial mashes, but started with all extract. When I do 5 gallon batches, I have to top up the fermenter with 2.5-3 gallons of tap water. When I do 3 gallon batches, I only have to top off with 0.5-1 gallons.

So, basically, you don't need a lot of big, expensive equipment to brew even 5 gallons, let alone 3 gallons. You don't need a chiller - some ice, water, and a sink will work just fine.

I get what you are saying about doing things cheaper, but 8 beers isn't going to last you very long and you'll be brewing another batch soon. You can do a 1 gallon batch, but my gut tells me that you'll be wishing you brewed more.

I see where you are coming from and that does make a lot of sense as in if I brew a good beer I will want to keep it around longer. I guess I just hate the idea of experimenting on 5 gallon batches. I could however stick with a very simple base and then split that up into a couple different 1 gallon containers for experimentation. I guess I almost forgot that you can top the fermenter up with water with extract kits to compensate for what you didn't boil in the stock pot. I just thought when I do start to experiment with "styles" it might be cheaper to do 1 (or maybe 3) gallon batches so I can test the different styles. I am very picky and I feel I will be that way about my beers.

I guess I could always pawn them off on friends. haha.

Thanks

There is no point in a 1 gallon batch. I could drink that in a night! The amount of effort you will put in you might as well do a minimum of 3 if not 5 gallons.

Oh believe me I could drink that super quick if I was "drinking" that night. Hell I could polish off 2 gallons for that matter. I am just trying to watch my intake of calories/carbs.. I do weigh 370lbs and I figure if I keep tons of beer in the house that I would be tempted to drink it all of the time. It's hard to turn down a homebrew. :)

Go for it! It's fun to make beer. Especially if you're not sure how it'll turn out. However, if it turns out really good, you'll regret not having brewed more!!

dude, i am brewing a ten gallon batch tomorrow in cbus. if you want some un hopped wort stop by, i'll just throw another pound or two in the mash tun. if you want some hopped wort i am brewing a two hearted ale.

dude, i am brewing a ten gallon batch tomorrow in cbus. if you want some un hopped wort stop by, i'll just throw another pound or two in the mash tun. if you want some hopped wort i am brewing a two hearted ale.

I thank you for the offer! I wish I could but I think my car would die if I drove it to Columbus another time lol. I really want to move up that way so I can join the SODZ group too.

I really do appreciate the offer though. Wish I could swing by!

I have not used one of those for 1 gallon batches. What I used was a 2 gallon swing top glass growler( same shape just bigger than the 1/2 gallon). I picked it up at my local HBS and just found the right sized bung for it that fit the airlock. I think it ran me about 8 or 10 $. Well worth it IMO. Good Luck

1 Gallon is cheap, easy and feasible. I've done 50+ this year alone and love experimenting and the ease of it. Well worth it, try it and see.

I ferment my 1gl batches in PET containers that I got from my pretzel eating co workers. One day I happen to look at the bottom to check and sure enough they were PET. They are from Tractor Supply of all places, the brand is HK Anderson. 7 bucks for the container and the pretzels they have in em are pretty tasty. They hold maybe a gallon and a half to the rim. They have screw top lids that drill easy for an airlock. Only thing I dislike is they are clear so I have to be careful with the light. I should look into a 2 gallon growler, at least they are amber so they can go anywhere in the house.

http://www.quill.com/anderson-pretzels/cbs/041222.html?cm_mmc=CSE_SZA_041222

I've been brewing small-ish 3-gallon batches but I've picked up 1-gallon jugs and airlocks so that I can test different ideas for fruit beers -- flavoring them with three quantities of fruit so I can see which one works best for future recipes.

The small batches work for me since I don't have the same tolerance that I used to, one glass is all I can handle nowdays, so a three gallon batch can last a few weeks.

However, I've been thinking of brewing a few 1-gallon batches for the sake of learning something about beer appreciation. I'm thinking of taking my copy of Brewing Classical Styles and making a bunch of 1-gallon batches so we can have a "beer flight" and get a better understanding of the difference between, say a milk stout, oatmeal stout and a sweet stout.

I think the thing that is appealing about 3-gallon batches to me is that it is perfect for a stovetop brewer (like myself) with limited space/equipment etc... to go all grain.

I can easily get three stock pots and go full boil and rather than make a full 5 gallon, actually make two three gallons and use two recipes/hop combinations.

I have found two 3-gallon glass carboys at my local brew store for $26 each that I think I will pick up tomorrow.

I have a 5-gallon batch and also four 1-gallon batches all going right now. I can do two different 1-gallon batches at the same time on the stove top, so they are definitely easier to manage than the 5-gallon size. The only step that is more tedious is keeping the mash temperature stable as the small volumes cool much faster - so be prepared to baby sit the mash more than you would for a bigger batch. On the flip side, the post-boil cooling is super easy.

EDIT: forgot to mention, if there is a Sprouts nearby, they sell 1-gallon finger handle jugs for $7.99 that come with free apple juice inside!

If you want to "stir up" a discussion on this topic, why do't you join the already ongoing discussion on this. There's a lot of threads on small batch brewing.

THis is the main discussion thread on it.... You don't need to stir, since it's already rolling. 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

You could brew one pint at a time too. Plan far enough ahead to know how many beers you will drink or share a month from now though.

I brew indoors. I use 5 gallon Stainless pots I bought for about $8.00 each. I use 6 gallon HDPE buckets $2.75 @ Home Depot. for fermenters.

Most of the rest of it should bee exactly the same. I will admit I have a storage problem for about 300 bottles.....:D

Looks like you are taking a lot of flack for this idea, but I fully support this mission! I'm gonna start experimenting with some one gallon batches myself (maybe two gallon). I have plenty of gallon carboys, and this will allow me to experiment with recipes in a more cost effective and space saving way.

Back