Cider Newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skygeek

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to brewing and looking to start a batch of cider.

I purchaced:
2 1gallon jars of juice
2 packets of Montrachet yeast
2lbs honey

Im planning on adding about a pound of honey to each jar but I have no idea how much yeast to use. The packet says for up to 5 gallons but is that to much for my 1 gallon jars?

Any advice would be great before I mess this up.

Skygeek

you could probably split one packet into the two batches. If you put one in each it wouldn't be a problem, but you don't need to use that much.

Thanx for the reply. What is the best way to get the honey in the cider? Should I use a part of the juice to disolve the honey?

Thanx again
Skygeek

Yes, split one pack between the 2 batches as sconnie suggested. And yes, dissolve the honey using part (but not all) of the juice. Bring it quickly up to the boil for a few moments, turn it off and let it cool. Skim off any waxy deposits and you can then add it back to the rest of the juice.

Hey thanx again for the advice! Got it bottled and today it started to bubble! Thanx again.

Well its been in primary for two weeks now and last night I racked it and tried a sample. I am suprised by the flavor! Not what I expected at all. Now dont get me wrong I'm in no way disapointed, but what I tasted was a dry white wine, slighty fruity but not sweet at all.

So here is the question, What now? Any suggestion on aging? I had considered leaving it iin secondary for another week or so but there doesnt seem to be much movment in the airlocks.

You can bulk age your cider for another couple of months in your secondary if you want- this will allow some of the suspended bits fall out in the meantime before bottling. Or really, you could bottle and age if you know for a fact that it's done.
Either way, maybe let it sit in a cool area for around 2 months or so and you should have money.

Well its in the bottle now. It looks great and tastes like a dry white wine with a slight apple hint. Gonna see how it ages in the bottle.

Thanx again for everyones advise.

Back