Texas Homebrewers Campout - April 3-5, 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I would like to let ya'll know that we will be having a campout in Texas April 3-5, 2009. It has been called Beer in the Backwoods in the past, and is back in 2009. In case you don't know, this is "The Ultimate Family Friendly Beer Event of the Year". The campsite location is about 20 miles due East of College Station.

This is a new "Club-Independent" organization that is putting this together and is called The Texas Homebrewers Campout.

The registration is all online at www.TexasHomebrewersCampout.com

We can really use the help to put the word out about this so that other beer enthusiasts can have time to put it in their schedules. That is why I am posting this here. This is a really active forum dedicated to the art of craftbrewing beer...so a great place to start if you ask me. If anyone can help let other Texas Homebrewers know, we would really appreciate it. We can also use help at the event, so if anyone would be willing to donate a bit of your time to make it more enjoyable for everyone...that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for checking us out, and we really hope to see you there! This is going to be a great tvent this year!

Cheers!

Jonathan

Sorry for the delay in my reply...

The site this year is a private ranch that is being converted into a campground that can be reserved for just such an event. The site can be different every year, but this one looks to be very promising.

We are really hoping for a diverse group of brewing/outdoor enthusiasts that are looking for a beer related event that is family-friendly and not centered around a competition. Sure, we will have BeerFest-style olympic games, but that's all for fun...and bragging rights I suppose.

Thanks for your reply, and we would appreciate your spreading the word.

Prost!

All of the information is on the website, but early registration is $25 per adult for the whole weekend for a rustic tent site, and $30 for an RV (RV sites will most likely not have hookups for 2009...if there are, there will only be two for the first year). Kids are free, and if you wait to register and just show up, it is an additional $5 per person regardless of whether it is a tent or RV site.

I hope that this helps clear things up, and gets some of you that are "on the fence" out to join us. This is a great time!

Cheers!

When I saw the title and the dates, I thought this was going to be something related to Chilifest.

Has anyone else been to this event before? I've been thinking about getting the family together but was wondering how "family friendly" the event was. I have young kids and didn't know if it was okay to bring them or not. We might be able to get a sitter. If not I might be able to convince the wife to keep the kids while a buddy and I go.

Hey Belmont.
Well, I have been to one of the two so far and it was mostly families. The 2009 event is being pushed more toward the family side of the spectrum. We have numerous beer events that are centered around a contest, but you certainly wouldn't bring the kids there. This year, the organizer of the olympics intends on making games specifically for the kids to participate in...there is also some free time for the family on Saturday before the olympics. This is intended to be a weekend in the woods with the family and great beer.

You can do whatever you want, but I am one of the organizers of this event and I would be seriously disappointed if it turned out to be inappropriate for kids. There might be some language as people drink, get happy, and talk like a sailor...but there shouldn't be an orgy at the pavilion.

I hope that you can make it!

The combination of camping and homebrew sounds amazing. I have not been brewing long therefor will not have much to bring out (prob 3 batches). My friends don't brew but they are good at camping, will some good quality store bought be accepted?
I know it's a noob question. Doubt it's HB only I just don't want to be odd man out.

I would guess that would be fine Nitsua. Some brewers (like myself) don't bottle so they'd have to expect some of that. I may buy a tap-a-draft system for this event since all of my beer is in kegs. I wonder if there are enough jockey boxes there that you wouldn't have to bring your own.

There should be a serving stand and a trough to put the kegs in...but it never hurts to be prepared. Especially to have the right fittings...pin-lock, ball-lock etc.

Commercial beer being poured from a friendly beer aficionado is ALWAYS welcome!

Commercial beer being poured from a friendly beer aficionado is ALWAYS welcome!

Indeed!

And, about the families, I am bringing mine out based on the expectation and representation that it is a family-friendly event. However, I also am well aware that the very nature of the gathering must keep one on one's guard when kids are concerned.

TL

You're not alone TexLaw! There are 40-50 other adults registered already from all over the place. Foam Rangers are the majority, but we have KGB, Austin Zealots, Barley Coherent, and others. Surprisingly not a lot from the Dallas area, but I guess that's their loss as I sent posters to two of the shops out there...The Winemaker Shop and Homebrew Headquarters.

I'm glad that you are going to be there, and it looks like we are going to have some pretty nice weather. Did you register on The Website ? That'll save you $$ even if you don't pay now...just let us know that you are coming.

This looks like it is going to be a great time! Even our t-shirt guy is printing a few extra for us just in case...so we should have extra. I think that they are pretty cool looking!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions or anything. My e-mail for this event is [email protected] cause I'm "carryin' the load"

Looking forward to it! Cheers!

Jonathan

I would love to go, but somehow just discovered all this!!! Dern!! :D

If the planets align and I get out of some things I will try to make it. Sounds like a blast!

Back