Brewing old grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa1126

Reaction score
I have a stout all-grain kit that a buddy gave me last May (2012) before he moved. It has been sitting in its plastic bag in my pantry since I haven't had the equipment to do an all grain brew.

I was thinking of brewing it but was wondering if them sitting in the plastic bag for too long is bad. Thoughts?

I had one sit in a bag for a few months. Came out fine, just came out short on the O.G. I blame it on the grains. Same brew I made a couple times, that was the only thing that changed.

Crushed or whole grain? Open the bag and smell. If it smells like fresh grain, brew it. If it smells stale, so will your beer.

May 2012 is 9 months ago. Hardly "old". Use fresh yeast and hops.

What is the shelf life of milled grain? IE if you ran a home brew shop, at what point would you say "this has been here too long, time to toss it"?

Sometimes I have basemalt that sits around for over a year, maybe 1.5. No problems. Uncrushed and sealed up nice in a tote. I have some 60L that's over two years now, and I'm still using it. No problems. I know, right, why has it been sitting around that long? Anyway, if it's crushed, you're probably pretty close to the cutoff date. Like others have said, smell it and make up your own mind.

Stale is how much air and moisture have gotten to it.

Theoretically, it as a pretty darn long shelf life if it's in an oxygen barrier bag.

I brewed it today and it smelled amazing. I'll keep y'all posted as to how it goes!

Back