How to carbonate beer that doesn't have yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genelec

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brewing a maltzbeer which is a german beer for kids, it's non alcoholic and sweet. You brew it the same way as a normal beer only after a day of it fermenting you kill the yeast. My problem is, that since you killed the yeast adding sugar to it wouldn't help it carbonate. You could force carbonate it but I dont have the right equipment to do that. Is there a way to carbonate it without having to buy expensive equipment?

That's a conundrum. If you add yeast at bottling, it will go after all the fermentable sugars left in the maltzbeer and you'll have bottle bombs.

The only process that comes to mind is adding yeast and priming sugar at bottling and then pasteurizing the bottles (killing the yeast) after a few days, when the bottles are carbed but before you get bottle bombs.

Yea, force carbing is going to be the only way to do it. You can get a "carbonator cap" that will allow you to force carb individual bottles so you don't have to buy a keg, but you still need all the other kegging hardware.

How are you planning on killing the yeast?

You could ferment it in 2L soda bottles with the caps on, and then stick them in the fridge to stop the yeast. That's how a lot of homemade sodas are carbonated. There's probably some good info in the soda making forum.

You brew it the same way as a normal beer only after a day of it fermenting you kill the yeast.

If you ferment it for a day it is NOT non-alcoholic. There's alcohol in there. Maybe <2%, but there's alcohol!

I think the best way to carbonate such an animal would be to actually bottle the wort without the one-day fermentation, let them naturally carb for a short period of time using the wort's sugar, being careful to get it just right, then either pastuerize the bottles, add campden tabs to kill the yeast, or just refridgerate the whole batch. That's how traditional soda makers naturally carb bottled homebrew soda without alcohol. Maybe check out the soda forum and ask some questions over there?

You could ferment it in 2L soda bottles with the caps on, and then stick them in the fridge to stop the yeast. That's how a lot of homemade sodas are carbonated. There's probably some good info in the soda making forum.

I think this is the answer.
I bottle carb soda that has a lot of fermentable sugar in it. The pressure+refridgeration stops it from becoming alcoholic. I assume it would work the same way if you allowed it to partially ferment first.

But...
I thoughtchildren's beer was fully fermented beer, but with a very very low starting gravity?

Back