How is this for a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed my first Porter a long while ago and it was a bomb but I want to give it another shot now that I'm brewing AG. How does this look?

For three gallons:

6.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.9 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6.9 %
0.20 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.8 %

0.65 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 33.3 IBU
0.65 oz Cascade [5.50%] (45 min) Hops 19.8 IBU

1 Pkgs SafAle US Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Thanks!

Couple thoughts....for a three gal batch, depending on your efficiency you might have a pretty high OG, IBUs are kinda high for style and you might want to consider something like windsor or s-04 that will leave it a bit more malty than us-05.

brewt00l said:
Couple thoughts....for a three gal batch, depending on your efficiency you might have a pretty high OG, IBUs are kinda high for style and you might want to consider something like windsor or s-04 that will leave it a bit more malty than us-05.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing... I'm going to Brewer's Gold for bittering and make my 45 minute addition Fuggle and bring the IBUs about 35-40. Good call on the S-04, it worked well in my ESB so I think I'll go with it again.

Thanks!

Malt profile looks good.
I'd shoot for the 40 IBU range.
use 1056 yeast! It's clean and nuetral.
Brewers gold in the kettle will be nice.
Go for Northern Brewer as a middle addition
and....cha-ching Centennial for late addition,and (YES) dry hop! I think it would better compliment the Brewers Gold then the Cascade.

FWIW... Porters as a modern style typically may be hopped with whatever you desire . With that said go to town, and have fun. Experiment with different combos.

Glibbidy said:
Malt profile looks good.
I'd shoot for the 40 IBU range.
use 1056 yeast! It's clean and nuetral.
Brewers gold in the kettle will be nice.
Go for Northern Brewer as a middle addition
and....cha-ching Centennial for late addition,and (YES) dry hop! I think it would better compliment the Brewers Gold then the Cascade.

FWIW... Porters as a modern style typically may be hopped with whatever you desire . With that said go to town, and have fun. Experiment with different combos.
I would keep your hops as is unless you just like hoppy beers. I could be wrong but I don't think late hop additions and dry hopping fit with a Porter.
Of course we ARE home brewers so we can do what ever we want.:mug:

While dry hopping may seem a little extreme in Porters for some brewers, IMHO I think it really accentuates the final product when done well.

If I'm not mistaken as far as late hop addtions go for porters, I think you'll find that most every brewer is going to perform a late hop addtion in their porter from 15 minutes left, all the way up to flame-out.

And, yes naturally we ARE homebrewers and it is all a science experiment so to each his own.;)

Yeah, the Fuller's Clone I made from BYO 150 a couple days ago had EKG additions at 15 minutes and at flameout. We're not talking about crazy DFH 90min. hop schedules or anything, just a little flavor and aroma at the end to help balance the roast.

Evan! said:
Yeah, the Fuller's Clone I made from BYO 150 a couple days ago had EKG additions at 15 minutes and at flameout. We're not talking about crazy DFH 90min. hop schedules or anything, just a little flavor and aroma at the end to help balance the roast.

The AHS fullers clone I am currently drinking (and is daym close to the orig) did not have any <30m additions IIRC.

Fullers on nitro tap is prb one of my all time favorite porters. The only thing that the AHS clone is missing is that black treacle flavor in the finish.

brewt00l said:
The AHS fullers clone I am currently drinking (and is daym close to the orig) did not have any <30m additions IIRC.

Fullers on nitro tap is prb one of my all time favorite porters. The only thing that the AHS clone is missing is that black treacle flavor in the finish.

Well, one of them isn't right. Not sure how BYO and AHS arrive at their clones, so I could tell you...

Evan! said:
Well, one of them isn't right. Not sure how BYO and AHS arrive at their clones, so I could tell you...

Granted, I haven't had it from the bottle in years but I don't get hop aroma from the draught version....

Glibbidy said:

I actually plan on tweaking the recipe a wee bit next time I brew a porter. I really enjoy blackstrap molasses but that's not quite the flavor note I would be looking for, more of the treacle toffee (C&B to be specific if you are familiar with their flavor).

Our porter was done twice with White Labs London Ale yeast and has produced great flavors to compliment the beer.

Like others have said, the IBU looks to be way high, but if you balance it would a high starting gravity, then it may balance out well to be more of a Robust porter instead of a plain porter.

For a good porter recipe, check out Jamil's porter from his website (www.mrmalty.com). I've done both the extract and all grain versions and they are both mighty tasty.

After years of working a porter recipe, I ordered a Rogue clone (for variety) from AHB. It used 1.5 pounds of C120L, I'd been working the 0.5-0.75 range. So much better. Just bittering and aroma hops.

If I was going to dry hop (and I never have) a porter, I'd stick to the earthy hops like Fuggles.

Evan! said:

I double checked the AHS recipe and it's:

1.75 oz Fuggles @ 60
.25 oz Fuggles @ 15

The grain bill is also pretty different too.

If you look at Fuller's site, they list the following:

"Fuller's London Porter captures the flavours of those brews perfectly, although you won't find a cloudy pint these days! Smooth, rich, and strong (5.4% a.b.v.), our London Porter is brewed from a blend of brown, crystal and chocolate malts for a creamy delivery balanced by traditional Fuggles hops."

BYO seems a bit in left field on this one between the grain bill and hop selection.

Here's our recent recipe. It's IRISH ale, not London ale.

11.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.0 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.5 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.5 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.0 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Back