Stuck keg/tap/something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvstrat

Reaction score
I kegged up a belgian wit (blue moon clone) the other day and started carbing it up. I decided to tap it and sample the beer but to my dismay nothing came out of the tap.

I did the sanyo conversion with the dual tap tower. I unhooked the other keg and popped the liquid out line from the "stopped up" tap on it and beer poured just fine so I know it's not the out line or the tap blocked.

So I know it's something in the keg. It's holding pressure just fine. I've removed the dip tube 3 or 4 times and it's clean with no obstructions. I even removed the poppet from the liquid out post thinking maybe it sticking and I got nothing :(

My only idea is that there is excessive trub in the bottom of the keg that clogs up the end of the dip tube. I tried swirling the keg up to see if I could get it mixed up enough to start a flow but nothing. I had this problem once when a bit of whole leaf hop from dry hopping made it into the keg, but I didn't dry hop this one and I was pretty careful not to rack any junk into the keg.

Any suggestions? I thought about trimming a 1/4" off the dip tube but haven't done it yet.

You could always just bend the dip tube so it draws from higher up instead of cutting it. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I've had leaf hop debris clog a dip tube before too. Maybe in the future let this beer stay longer in secondary to allow more yeast to floculate if that is in fact what is clogging the tube.

If you have beer in a pressurized keg and nothing is flowing from the output, I can only think of a couple of things that could cause it.

First might be an obstruction. I'd disconnect it and try bleeding a bit of pressure from the relief valve (make sure there really is pressure in there). Then attach your co2 line to the output (you should hear the gas going in and that should at least temporarily clear the end of the dip tube). If you get flow and then it decreases, I'd think you have a problem with sediment.

The other problem I can think of is you mentioned you removed the poppet valve. The poppet has to be inplace to make the ball lock connector work. Or your connector is not depressing the poppet(may be defective).

(You can allways push the poppet with a screw driver and see if you end up with a beer shower)

Good luck.

For some reason I was under the impression putting the gas line on the liquid line made it extremely difficult to get out.. maybe that's not right.

However I'm sure the keg is under pressure.

Well, you are right sort of... You do NOT want to force the connectors onto the wrong posts, they can be really hard to get back off.

But if you use threaded connectors or can switch the hose, there is no problem pushing co2 into the "out" port of the keg.

Black Connector = Liquid Out Post
Grey Connector = Gas In Post

The only difference in operation is the length of the dip tube they connect to.

So, if you have a ball lock keg, you can use a "Black" connector connected to co2 attached to the "out" port of the keg.

Hope that makes sense.

Back