aroma hops and dry hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pimpfoot

Reaction score
So im putting a little amber ale recipe together. Im a bit of a hopphead so i figured id give dry hopping a try. My question is how much should i worry about my aroma hops if im going to be dry hopping the batch? Does anyone have much experience with this? any helpful hints?

7.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM)
0.75 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.15 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.15 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 4 days)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 45.0 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
- 33.6 IBU.
- 6.4%

In my english pale ale that I brewed about a week and a half ago, I added my regular aroma hop addition and then dry hopped about a week later with .5 oz of the hops I had left over from my first batch. I know that's not much help, but we'll see if it comes out alright. I'm actually going to take a gravity tonight, I'll let you know how it tastes.

-AJ

Sweet man thanks. Im looking for a light, sweet amber with a good strong hop taste.

I do not adjust late hop additions if I'm going to be dry-hopping (read: I keep late hop additions)

Having said that, odds are pretty good that any beer that I add hops in the last 5 min for...I also will dryhop :-D

awesome anbrew. Im thinking of moving the flavoring hops back to 10min, just dont want to increase my IBUs. im gonna go ahead and dry hop as well.

Sweet man thanks. Im looking for a light, sweet amber with a good strong hop taste.

Just took the gravity. It still needs a few more days. Target FG is 1.010, currently at 1.012. Anyway, to provide something more helpful to you, it didn't come out with as strong a hop taste as I had expected, but definitely more than before the dry hop addition. Also, I only used .5 oz of Fuggles, so maybe more might do the trick. I was thinking an extra ounce next time would work. And while we're on the subject of my beer, I took a pic because the color is just beautiful.

100_0529.jpg

did you use moss in your recipe? or some other clarifier? nice color.

Nope. I didn't use anything but extract, crystal malt and hops. You can't tell very well in the picture, but it's really not that clear. I can't wait to see it when it is clear, though. :mug:

Just took the gravity. It still needs a few more days. Target FG is 1.010, currently at 1.012. Anyway, to provide something more helpful to you, it didn't come out with as strong a hop taste as I had expected, but definitely more than before the dry hop addition. Also, I only used .5 oz of Fuggles, so maybe more might do the trick. I was thinking an extra ounce next time would work. And while we're on the subject of my beer, I took a pic because the color is just beautiful.

Iiiiii seee youuuuu

or your camera at least :fro:

I ran an experiment with an IPA, leaving out the aroma hops and just dry hopping. Disappointing. The boil extracts oils that won't dissolve well at room temperature. I ended up making a hop tea and adding it.

If your going for hop flavor try First Wort hopping for your bitter addition. If you want hop flavor you need a 15 or 20 minute addition. Dry hopping will give you aroma and the perception of hop flavor.

I made 2 batches once dry hopping one with 1 ounce and using 1 ounce at 0 minutes in the other and they both had a really nice hop aroma. I usually skip the less than 10 minute additions if I'm dry hopping a normal English type ale but with big IPAs I go no holds barred.

Without using Irish moss or equivalent you may not get it to clear. I have a pale ale that has been sitting in the keg in the fridge for a month and it has not cleared, still good though!

Thanks for the input guys. Really apreciate it. I pushed the aroma hops back another 5 minutes into the boil. Im headed to my brew store to get the stuff and talk to the guys there. Ill let ya know how it turns out!

Thanks for the input guys. Really apreciate it. I pushed the aroma hops back another 5 minutes into the boil. Im headed to my brew store to get the stuff and talk to the guys there. Ill let ya know how it turns out!

Fast forward 8 years....

So... how did it turn out?

Back