I Hate Wheat Beer But...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I love this book.

wheatbeer.jpg

Eric Warner offers up some amazing advice and insights for all brewers. Too bad it is focused on Wheat Beer.:D

I highly recommend it to any brewer, especially all you misguided hefe brewers. Maybe you will see the light and discover the errors of your ways!

Enjoy the read.

I was in Toulouse, France last week, and visited a "German" bar called the Bier Akadamie. At the end of the evening, whilst waiting for the taxi to take me and my work mate to the Hotel, I ordered two "Wheat Beer"....and panicked as the barman very rapidly poured eight pints of pilsner!!! He wasn't impressed to say the least when I pointed out I wasn't trying to speak french!

DRB and the Kaiser turned me on to that book. It's been beside my bed or in my bathroom ever since, and has resulted in many of the Kaiser and my flights of decoction fancy.

Edit...and any book that starts out with how it's customary to take a morning beer break in Bavaria has got to be a good one!

It's focused on Wheat Beer because of its title "German Wheat Beer"

It's just one book in a series of DIFFERENT STYLES. I know there's at least 17 books in the series (as my highest numbered book says it's "17").:D

Baron von BeeGee said:
DRB and the Kaiser turned me on to that book. It's been beside my bed or in my bathroom ever since, and has resulted in many of the Kaiser and my flights of decoction fancy.

There's a mental image I didn't need. But whatever works for you--who am I to judge.

homebrewer_99 said:
It's focused on Wheat Beer because of its title "German Wheat Beer"

It's just one book in a series of DIFFERENT STYLES. I know there's at least 17 books in the series (as my highest numbered book says it's "17").:D

Oh, I thought Beer Style was a reference to Beer Fashion. So my wheat stalk Hoola Skirt is out?:confused:

I still say it is a good book, even if it is about Wheat Beer!

Actually, all the books in this series are good, although some really stand out and this is one of them.

I just bought that book and the pale ale one from the series. I just barely cracked open the pale ale one, can't wait to open the wheat book.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I'm not sure why I just finally noticed that, but I did spit some very expensive beer at my not so expensive monitor. Can I sue? :confused:
I don't think so. I think it comes under the "use at your own risk" clause that's covered in all computer manuals telling you to not have drinks or food near your computer.:D

In Germany "Bock" and "Beutel" are not usually used in the same sentence. We all know bock as goat, but in Franken (in northern Bavaria) there's a wine bottle that is similar in shape as a scrotum or beutel. Interestingly enough, these scrotums are the forerunners of our wine flasks and eventually canteens.:D Drink up boys!:drunk:

Mateus is a Portugese wine with a similarly shaped bottle.

I finished reading the book and I am having dreams of decoction mashing. I'm going to try the all-grain recipe for hefeweizen for my next batch. Single decoction mash only. Any pointers on decoctions?

Brewpastor said:
I love this book.

wheatbeer.jpg

Eric Warner offers up some amazing advice and insights for all brewers. Too bad it is focused on Wheat Beer.:D

It is a good book indeed, and since it is written by someone who actually learned brewing in Germany it is even better. But I must have lost my copy on a plane ride from Boston to Raleigh. I thought I checked everything :( :(

Luckily I read the whole thing through.

Kai

Bummer! I got mine from Amazon or Overstock (can't remember) for ~$8-9.

I fired up a starter last night from my saved 3068 and found it at full kraeusen this morning, so in the fridge it went. I should be milling grain tonight and brewing at first light (first light to reach me, that is). My only concern is that I now realize I am out of rice hulls...I may just go for it anyways.

As far as tips on decoctions...just do it and learn as you go. I will say to apply the heat to the decoction slowly and to stir frequently. Otherwise you will scorch your decoction a bit.

Baron von BeeGee said:
My only concern is that I now realize I am out of rice hulls...I may just go for it anyways.

I have 1/2 a bag left from my last batch and won't be brewing again before I move anyway. You can pick it up after work today if you want to.

I'll be bottling mine tonight. The starter that I will be using for priming had low kraeusen when I left this morning. It should be ready for bottling tonight.

Kai

Back