Malty Flavor Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seeking knowledgable input on a potential recipe:

I'm trying to piece together a recipe which could be considered by many hop-heads to be a "malt bomb". I tend to dig the malt end of the spectrum (vs. the hops), and i'm looking for something with fair malty sweetness, but moreso favoring a malty flavor.

I read the other recent thread about a non-base malt base using Munich and I'm considering the grainbill to consist of (ballpark):
23% Maris Otter
72% Munich
5% Aromatic
and mashing around 157F

IBUs around 20 using EKG - just enough to keep it from becoming stomach-turning malty/sweet.

What are all your thoughts on attaining the malty side of brewing and the above ingredients?

Never having made a "malt bomb" myself, your recipe seems to be along the right lines, especially the Munich malt.

I would recommend selecting a yeast that yields a malty profile-- like an Oktoberfest or Munich lager yeast, or even a clean ale yeast with attenuation on the low side.

Munich as a base has always produced pretty malty beers for me, especially with darker ales like Porters. You could also add some melanoidin malt in there as well...or if you wanted to go full-bore, you could do a decoction mash.

Back