Seriously can not get the lid off the bucket-please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
I seriously can not get the lid off my new fermenter bucket. I have always used glass carboys so this was my first experience with plastic.

Seriously, without heavy tools, and I'm causing damage to the lid trying, I can't get the lid off the bucket and I want to transfer it today!!! WTH? Why won't the lid come off?!? :confused: Is there a trick to it?

Idk if we have the same kind of buckets, but mine have a little notch on the top of the bucket above the handles that allows you to get your fingers under there to pop it open. I had the same problem as you when I first used them until I accidentally found them. Hope that helps!

Put the bucket on the ground, and drive your knee into the middle of the lid while tugging on the lip of the lid. It makes it a LOT easier to open.

• Take the airlock out
  • Put one knee on the middle of the lid (there is usually a circle there)
  • Pry up on the lip of the lid in one spot and work your way around (you may have to go around more than once, just pry up part way all the way, and go back over)

If THAT fails, there should be 'stripes' around the side of the lid - those stripes are spots where there is less plastic so it's easier to cut (yes cut)

IF YOU DO THIS, only cut one or two a few notches apart and only do it about half way up. See if that helps, if not, try a few more.
**do this knowing your lid MAY not seal as well as it is now**

Go to any hardware store and for about 2 bucks you can pick up a tool specially made to open 5 gallon plastic buckets. ;)

048661345566lg.jpg

I have a couple of them, so I don't misplace them.

Put the bucket on the ground, and drive your knee into the middle of the lid while tugging on the lip of the lid. It makes it a LOT easier to open.

GOT IT!!!! This is what I just did, thanks. Out of breath, had to not just pry one spot, but go all the way around and pry with all my might.

My TrueBrew bucket lid is a b***h to get off but it can be done. Instead of trying to pull up on the lid, try prying the rim out as hard as you can. Go around the entire lid doing this. Hope this helps!~

Go to any hardware store and for about 2 bucks you can pick up a tool specially made to open 5 gallon plastic buckets. ;)

048661345566lg.jpg

I have a couple of them, so I don't misplace them.

That tool works fine on standard 5 gallons, but it's worthless on the Austin Homebrew 7.9 gallon buckets. It just breaks the lid.

My knee, OTOH, is a universal tool. :ban:

I had the LHBS drill extra large holes in the top of the fermenter lids. That way I can take samples and siphon to secondary/keg/bottling bucket without removing the lid.

Holy chit, this is hilarious...not to the OP but for me...I can remember the first time I tried to get the GD lid off...I was so pissed...finally got it, then went right out and picked up the lid tool.

indeed its not that funny when it happening to you and the lid wrench will change your life

Yep! I put my knee firmly into it, and then "peel" the lid up on the side away from me. It really isn't that hard when you know that trick!

If the bucket is elevated, which is usually the case, I use both hands, rest my fingers on the lip below the lid and use my thumbs to pop the lid up. You have to work your way around the lid sometimes, but next to the lid tool I find this to be the easiest, least painful method. All you have to do is get it started and then you can pry it right off with ease. YRMV.

As a token of my appreciation for the help, I will show you what was under the lid. It's beer!! Wee bit of krausen on the top. And that's the offensive lid and also the towel that came to my aid. The knee trick worked.

100_0837.JPG

As a token of my appreciation for the help, I will show you what was under the lid. It's beer!! Wee bit of krausen on the top. And that's the offensive lid and also the towel that came to my aid. The knee trick worked.

You should make short clips in that lid where the "thin" spots are around the edges. There may even be markings on the outside showing where to cut.

You should make short clips in that lid where the "thin" spots are around the edges. There may even be markings on the outside showing where to cut.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. :confused: My first experience with plastic, know nothing about it.

Added: Okay, just read previous post about it. No thanks, not gonna cut the lid, damaged it enough trying tools on it. The knee, that's the trick. And I needed the exercise.

My first couple brews, I used a screwdriver to pry off the lid.

Then I bought glass.

This just proves one thing. You need to make more beer.

The lid will loosen up after a few batches.

I remember my first few. Fingertips screaming in pain while the wife learned some new curses.

This just proves one thing. You need to make more beer.

The lid will loosen up after a few batches.

I remember my first few. Fingertips screaming in pain while the wife learned some new curses.

Agreed. Beer boot camp can be less than pleasant. But's it's just the equipment molding you into a hardened brew machine until you can crush grain with your bare hands and spit fire to light the burner. :D

Your beer was too young and the lid was trying to tell you that you don't need a stinkin' secondary!

Your beer was too young and the lid was trying to tell you that you don't need a stinkin' secondary!

The plan was to split it up into 2 secondaries, a flavor experiment. But, after getting a good look, I just put the lid back on. Which in itself required the use of the pestle from my mortar and pestle set. While kneeing it.

I seriously can not get the lid off my new fermenter bucket. I have always used glass carboys so this was my first experience with plastic.

Seriously, without heavy tools, and I'm causing damage to the lid trying, I can't get the lid off the bucket and I want to transfer it today!!! WTH? Why won't the lid come off?!? :confused: Is there a trick to it?

Glad you finally managed to open the lid, next time remeber that opossum mini claws make a perfect tool to open bucket lids, don´t know if you ever catched the little bastard but if you haven´t that´s another reason to do it :D
Cheers.

What you need to do is take the airlock out, funnel a couple pounds of corn sugar in through the hole, plug it up good and the yeast will take it off for you.

What you need to do is take the airlock out, funnel a couple pounds of corn sugar in through the hole, plug it up good and the yeast will take it off for you.

That's what I was going to say! When your bucket blows its top, that's the yeasts way of saying it's time to bottle. Bottle your beer and store them in your bottling bucket (duh, what else would it be for?) When the bottles explode, that's your indicator that the beer is ready! Just drain out of the spigot into your glass!*

*put a sock over the spigot to catch glass particles.

I think it's a "Bucket Wrench". They're invaluable. After my first batch of beer. I made sure to buy one when I got supplies for my second batch.

I haven't followed every response on this thread, so it's possible that others have suggested the following: don't seal the bucket in the first place. I use holeless, or stoppered hole lids on my plastic buckets, and just set the lid evenly on top of the bucket with a can of veggies or similar weight on top. This eliminates problems with blocked locks and bleed-off setups, etc. I've never had any problems with infections. I struggled with the sealed lids and airlocks for a few batches and finally resorted to the no-seal approach a couple of years ago and never looked back.

The lids will stretch out with use. There are as mentioned above places on the rim of the lid (think bottom rim, the part that you get your fingers/thumbs under that if you look at while the lid is offthere are thin places in the plastic that you can cut maybe 1cm from the bottom which gives you tabs that you can more easily pry up. You only would really need to make 2 or 3 cuts if you go this route, and it will make it so the lid does not seal as tightly (obviously).

On the other hand, you can always warm the bucket up a bit and the plastic will get softer and flex a little more to make it easier to open.

We at Austin Homebrew Supply suggest the standard bucket opener to remove a lid from our buckets.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12791

Also we find it easier to put the bucket lid on with a rubber mallet.
If anyone is having a problem with any of our products like the 7.9 bucket and/or lid please contact us. Our lids and buckets should work together with the tool without damaging the lid. other posters are correct in saying that the lid will be easier to remove after it has been used a couple times. However at no time should it be extremely difficult to remove while using the tool.
Once again if there are ever any problems with our products such as lids please contact us and we will get it resolved for you.

Thank you and happy brewing.

Back