Bourbon Barrel Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took a sample. Its been on the oak/bourbon for just 23 days. Already it has an amazing mix of vanilla and bourbon, nothing agressive, everything in subtle put perfect amounts. What can I expect to change given a few more months?

Weeb-
Did you find that it is too dry? You mentioned adding lactose? Did you ever end up adding any? I have a BBP that may finish close to that and am wondering if I need to add some sweetness back to it. Any updates to how yours has aged?

Weeb-
Did you find that it is too dry? You mentioned adding lactose? Did you ever end up adding any? I have a BBP that may finish close to that and am wondering if I need to add some sweetness back to it. Any updates to how yours has aged?

No lactose; and the reaction has been mixed from my family and homebrew club. The usual comment is that there is too much oak up front. I think the bourbon is enough to 'trick' the taste buds into thinking sweet, I just have too much burned wood in this which I hope will age. I have put half of it in the basement for next year while keeping a couple of bottles to try around Christmas.

Any updates on this one? I am about to bottle after four months on the bourbon/oak.

So I shouldn't have any carbonation issues given the long time in secondary? I plan to add 1oz of priming sugar per gallon.

Any updates on this brew after secondary and aging?

I've had a batch in primary for about a month. I brewed with extra 1# white sugar & .5# lactose. Looking to transfer to secondary but concerned about the oak chips sinking into the trub, or the length of time to oak. Kit says 6mo.

Oak has been sitting in a narrowed down, extremely delicious (peppery, caramel, buttery), barrel no. of Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 with two Uganda vanilla beans for a little longer than primary.

Getting eager & wanna hear how others turned out!

use good bourbon like makers mark. i used a lot of jim beam in my whee heavy and it tastes fine so it's doable. def soak a vanilla bean in the bourbon with the oak cubes prior to adding and the liquor will extract the vanilla flavor better than boiling ever could. soak for a few days at least, the longer the better. don't worry about removing any hops. you can even leave them in for fermentation if you really wanted to! sounds like a promising recipe:mug: what kind of yeast are you using. 6 months aging will prob be fine for this recipe, 1 year might be over kill. 6 months in the bottle will be your best best; 6&6
Hi guys,

I wondered if you could prime a beer that has been fermenting on bourbon chips for over 6 months? or do you need to for carbonate?

If you need to force carbonate, can you fc in a barrel and then bottle are few?

many thanks

Had mine on that long and no problem with priming, though carbonation took longer. I also did an Oktoberfest Marzen that had lagered for five months and again, no problem priming.

That kits comes out really nice. We soaked the oak in Woodford Reserve for several weeks while the beer was fermenting. I can't remember how long we kept it in secondary with the oak but knowing us it was at least a month.

The American Revolution was in another time. 26 5-6 year old children would be alive today if the guns used were illegal and the creep hadn't had them. I believe only hunting rifles and shotguns should be legal. All others should not be available.

I'm thinking about brewing this. They are recommending a 6-12 month aging in the Secondary. Does anyone have any experience with this and is 12 months necessary to get the best results? Also, Wouldn't it be better to get the Oak separately from the kit and begin the soaking with bourbon like 6-8 weeks before you brew it?

The American Revolution was in another time. 26 5-6 year old children would be alive today if the guns used were illegal and the creep hadn't had them. I believe only hunting rifles and shotguns should be legal. All others should not be available.

I hope that was an accidental cross post meant for another forum, and not a drive by rant.

I would like to hear more about how Jim Beam works for someone. I was just thinking about Denny's comment that the Bourbon should be subtle and not foreward.

I brewed this beer last August. I brought it to the club and some of the experienced members liked it very much.
In retrospect, I should have aged it 12 months before tasting it, not 6.
Does it taste any different, I can't remember. But at least I'd have a lot more of it remaining.

I used 10 ounces of Makers Mark, not 16, because I wanted a hint of Bourbon, not a diluted Bourbon drink.

Back