Holy Hops...I Froze My Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooba

Reaction score
Greetings fellow homebrewers....I'm here to admit that I am a dumba**.

So, I made a quick collar Friday for my 5.0 cu/ft freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber along with a temp controller. I needed more headroom to be able to fit a 6.5 gal bucket along with a 5 gal carboy. This way, I can have 2 brews fermenting at the same time.

Well, I proceeded to tack down the collar with some liquid nails and even drilled my hole for the temp probe, then reattached the lid. I then set some weights on the lid so the collar can dry and hold. Now here's the good part...I FORGOT TO PUT THE TEMP PROBE BACK IN!!!!

Since Friday night (approx. 36 hrs), the temp probe has been sitting at room temp and my freezer has ran below freezing. One big problem....I have 2 brews in the freezer.

1st brew is a Vanilla Bourbon Porter that is in the carboy. It was in the primary for 2 weeks, then racked on top of my vanilla beans and bourbon. It has been in the secondary for a week. The stopper along with the 3 piece airlock has been blown out. It is a frozen mess.

2nd brew is a Kolsch in the primary that I brewed Thursday night. I was bubbling along for approx. 24 hours before my mishap. The airlock is still intact on this one.

So, what should I do? I have taken both out to let them thaw. I put a rag soaked with Star-san over the top of the porter. My thinking is as it thaws, the rag will be covering the opening. What about my Kolsch that was in the middle of fermenting? What's gonna happen once it comes back up to room temp?

Any comments or answers would be helpful. And don't be afraid to call me names. I deserve it.

Ride it out, scumbag! :ban: Sorry, had to take you up on your last comment. :)

Personally, I'd let them come back to temp then rouse the yeast back to their party

Don't worry about it too much. I froze a pumpkin ale into a 5 gallon beercicle shortly after I got started. Thaw it out see if the fermentation get's going again (take a gravity reading a few days after it gets back to fermentation temps). If it gets stuck, toss some fresh yeast it. It'll be fine.

Grumpybumpy said:
Ride it out, scumbag! :ban: Sorry, had to take you up on your last comment. :)

Personally, I'd let them come back to temp then rouse the yeast back to their party

No offense taken!! You mean stir up the yeast?

I agree, Bring it back to temp slowly. When thawed shake the crap out of it for a few seconds. Every thing ive read says you should be fine. Or put a stick in it and have a wonderful "wartcycle".

image-1981584598.jpg

image-1347727713.jpg

After seeing that. Id still say bring it back to temp and see what it does. If nothing happens or you end up with a contaminated beer, i guess thats how we learn. I feel for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow that looks like a rootbeer popsicle!

I'm starting to be thankful I opted for a refrigerator as my temp controlled fermenting cabinet!

Grumpybumpy said:
Is it thawed yet?

Just about. I'm gonna give a careful stir when I get home this afternoon. I didn't lose as much of the Ported as I thought out of the carboy.

Good thing you're using Better Bottles, eh? (add this to the "pro" side in the "plastic vs glass" debate)

Eisenbock it!

seconded. i would just invert the carboy over a sanitized bucket and let the liquid drain out over the course of an hour, leaving the majority of the ice trapped by the neck. it might turn out to be the best mistake you ever made!

Last thanksgiving I wanted to rush a carboy of pum king clone to keg for the big turkey day - I thought 12 hours of crash cooling in a freezer was a great idea - frozen solid. I brought it inside - let it thaw out and it turned out to be a fantastic batch of beer.

just try to keep it sanitary, thaw it slowly and don't rush it too much and I think you will be fine.

Been there. It did not effect the beer too bady that I remember. We drank it. I was worried about the Yeasties, but they were not killed by their trip to the South Pole. Get back to fermenting temp and see what happens. If the Kosch starts again (take a sg and then check again as there may be no bubbles as they were subsiding anyway by this time. If they are alive, the ones in the Porter should be as well.

I'll take two frozen porter-cicles and a soft pretzel please. Oh, and a kolsch-pop for my girlfriend. :)

Glad they turned out well, sir. I'm amazed and have to say they both look great in the glass. Now I'm thirsty and it's 8:00AM on a workday. ****.

Latest posts

Back