Double check before I catch something on fire.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
Ok so I wanna install a fan in my (unbuilt) keezer, and I dug through the box of old power plugs and found this

photo2-2.jpg

It says 110v in and 12v out so I think its good... but my questions is how do I tell the positive wire from the negative? The diagram on the bottom of the plug looks like it identified the wire with the white stripe as the positive?

Just wanna double check with you guys before I wire this up and plug it in.

I think im gonna use this fan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60mm-Superr...ltDomain_0&hash=item43ace287b6#ht_1095wt_1270

That should work fine. You won't damage the fan if you hook it up backwards. If you hook it up and the fan doesn't run then switch polarities.

That should work fine. You won't damage the fan if you hook it up backwards. If you hook it up and the fan doesn't run then switch polarities.

wow i never thought of that... Must have made too much sense for me.

Ok so next (hopefully last) question... To all the people who run wires inside the kegerator, are you not worried about live wires and condensation? Are you all secretly running them outside the keezer and they're just well hidden?

Usually the wire with a mark (ridges, dashed line, etc.) is the negative. Another way to tell if you have the fan wired correctly is to check the rotation; if it is spinning the wrong direction, the wired are reversed.

Make sense?

Usually the wire with a mark (ridges, dashed line, etc.) is the negative. Another way to tell if you have the fan wired correctly is to check the rotation; if it is spinning the wrong direction, the wired are reversed.

Make sense?

yeah... but if the fan was spinning backwards wouldn't it work the same it would "suck" from the "blow" side (that sounded terrible).

I guess which direction would be "right"

Most computer fan motors will not turn backwards when polarity is reversed they just won't run. However if you have one that runs both directions the case of the fan should have an arrow indicating the air flow direction.

Sweet cant wait to get started. Hate to repost my older question but it just got buried and once I get this answer I dont have any more excuses not to start building this sucker:rockin:

To all the people who run wires inside the kegerator, are you not worried about live wires and condensation? Are you all secretly running them outside the keezer and they're just well hidden?

Sweet cant wait to get started. Hate to repost my older question but it just got buried and once I get this answer I dont have any more excuses not to start building this sucker:rockin:

To all the people who run wires inside the kegerator, are you not worried about live wires and condensation? Are you all secretly running them outside the keezer and they're just well hidden?

just get some shrink tape and seal up any live wires real good after a good wrap with electical tape. You could also back that up with some silicone sealant if you're worried about it.

dukesbb37 said:
yeah... but if the fan was spinning backwards wouldn't it work the same it would "suck" from the "blow" side (that sounded terrible).

I guess which direction would be "right"

Most fans have blades that are slightly curved (concave on the side facing wind direction) to improve airflow when running the correct direction. If the same fan would run reverse, airflow would be greatly reduced.

I think most fans run clockwise when you are looking at the face. Just wire it up both ways and keep the one that is better.

A 12V wire shorting out inside a fridge isn't going to do anything except cause the fan to no longer work. My fridge came to me precisely because of that and the previous owner didn't know how to fix it. If you solder the connection and seal it nicely the wiring will last longer than the compressor. But if you just twist the wires together and just let it hang you can measure the lifetime of the connection in months.

A 12V wire shorting out inside a fridge isn't going to do anything except cause the fan to no longer work. My fridge came to me precisely because of that and the previous owner didn't know how to fix it. If you solder the connection and seal it nicely the wiring will last longer than the compressor. But if you just twist the wires together and just let it hang you can measure the lifetime of the connection in months.

I was thinking more of the 110v of my temp controller... Im thinking about cutting a recess in the collar and running my wires through it and sealing it up with silicone... But if its really not that dangerous ill just wrap them and staple to the side of the collar.

Back