This is all i have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT72884

Reaction score
All right, just totally stumbled upon this site looking for a non alcoholic mead recipe. Im not a drinker so soda and sugar drinks is all i get to have. haha

All i have available to me because i am a full time Mechanical engineering student and part time worker, is bottled soda water and whatever else i can find at walmart.

any chance i can make a good root beer from the AA root beer thread with out kegging it?

i would like to make a good soda that tastes good and is fun to make. i would like it to be a we bit more involved than just buying those syrups and adding to carbed water. i gotta impress the friends. haha. the tyeast in a capped bottle could work for me BUT time is just hard to come by. Is this task possible?

thanks guys. I know im picky!

You may have to make the mead first and make it non alcoholic after(not 100% free)

thats what i was thinkin. I found a recipe from gotmead.com that uses a we bit of yeast to carb it but produces maybe .5% of alcohol. I will use that for the mead. But now i need to figure out what to do with soda. However, the yeast thing may be to time consuming. Maybe not though.

thanks guys

Being a BYU graduate, I know where you're coming from.

There was a brief discussion here a few weeks ago about a halal rootbeer, you might check that out.

As far as carbonating without producing any alcohol, your options are limited to force carbonating: dry ice, keg w/CO2 attached, sodastream, etc.

I've never done mead, but I've thought about developing a recipe. I think, though, that the fermentation process will develop flavor that you can't get out of just force carbing the ingredients.

And don't think that just adding carbonated water to syrup isn't going to impress your friends. It's all about presentation. From my experience, just the fact that you can re-cap glass bottles will blow most peoples' minds. They'll be so stuck on that and the fact that they have to use a bottle opener to drink something YOU made at HOME, they won't even care what they're drinking.

Being a BYU graduate, I know where you're coming from.

There was a brief discussion here a few weeks ago about a halal rootbeer, you might check that out.

As far as carbonating without producing any alcohol, your options are limited to force carbonating: dry ice, keg w/CO2 attached, sodastream, etc.

I've never done mead, but I've thought about developing a recipe. I think, though, that the fermentation process will develop flavor that you can't get out of just force carbing the ingredients.

And don't think that just adding carbonated water to syrup isn't going to impress your friends. It's all about presentation. From my experience, just the fact that you can re-cap glass bottles will blow most peoples' minds. They'll be so stuck on that and the fact that they have to use a bottle opener to drink something YOU made at HOME, they won't even care what they're drinking.

SAWEET. I am trying to apply for BYU in the mechanical engineering department. Anytips for a great application? PM them to me. haha. I will be transfering in bout 2 years or so.

I found a recipe that uses 1/8th a tsp of yeast for carbination that in the end, produces roughly .5% alcohol.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-ale-recipe/index.html

Yeah its time consuming BUT since i will be at school, it wont matter to much. Just as long as it doesnt blow up. it takes 48 hours to carb up. ill just do homework. haha

I also found a mead recipe that has the same amount of yeast.

http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/19_10.htm

How does one cap glass bottles? where do i find supplies locally for that? just call a brewers shop?

thanks for the help.

Use plastic bottles (old soda bottles and such).

While you can get a capper for glass bottles, when you seal soda or other low alcohol drinks that have yeast, there's a chance of them blowing up. For example, if you've ever left juice or cider in the fridge for a long time and noticed that it swelled up, that's what you're doing with soda. Just enough and you have carbonation, too much and the pressure becomes too high for the glass and it'll burst. Plastic would too, but it doesn't really shatter like glass does.

You can get new plastic caps and sometimes bottles (usually 12oz size) at your Local HomeBrew Store (aka: LHBS). Personally, I just save soda bottles or get them from other people.

In regards to a nonalcoholic mead, you'd want to create a mead, then boil away the alcohol. Otherwise, if you do it like the soda, you have a honey soda, not a mead. Mead is a honey wine after all. The recipe in that link is more like a brownsugar & lemon soda and may not taste quite like fully matured mead. Though it sounds tasty anyhow.

Syrup and carbed water tends to be a good option. Especially when you make your own syrups. It's then more involved. You can even carb your own water using yeast in one plastic bottle, hooked up with a valve and hose to another bottle so the pressure equalizes in both and one winds up being some sort of alchohol thing, the other carbonated water.

Or you can get a small carbonation unit and use a small co2 tank or paintball tank to produce carbonated water pretty cheaply.

Use plastic bottles (old soda bottles and such).
In regards to a nonalcoholic mead, you'd want to create a mead, then boil away the alcohol.
I really like this plan.

Ditto on the plastic vs. glass bottles. I use glass bottles filled from a keg, I don't ferment in them. I particularly like 187mL champagne bottles. Their nearly the same size and shape as 7up bottles from the '60s and they take a standard crown cap.

If you're looking for supplies, try Art's Brewing Supplies or Beer Nut, both in SLC, I've never been there, but Art's looks like they have a great selection. Even if you're only making sodas, you'll still want some basic supplies such as sanitizers and Beer Nut apparently sells bulk honey, which will be awesome if you're making mead.

doesnt water and alcohol create a chemical bond that in order to get rid of the alcohol, you have to get rid of the water first, hence why it really never gets cooked out?

I found a simple ginger ale from alton brown i am going to try

Nope. While it'll be pretty difficult to get it completely separated, you can cook away the alcohol by using either heat, or heat and vacuum evaporation, leaving you with just the non or lesser alcoholic beverage.

I want to tread carefully here because it's like distillation, but you're getting rid if the ethanol's and methanol's because in this case, we want the non-alcoholic liquid.

The main issue is that you're going to lose a lot of flavor and such just by cooking the wine/mead. Just go with regular lightly fermented sodas in plastic bottles.

Nope. Just go with regular lightly fermented sodas in plastic bottles.

thanks for the info.

Ok, i will go with the flavored sodas as you have suggested. I do not know how or what to ask but here goes. How much yeast does it take to make a 2 litter bottle of soda?

I dont know where to look or what to search for here or on google for lightly fermented soda recipes. Any direction would be nice.

Especially a nice easy smooth root beer and cream soda.

So do you make a syrup first and then put that syrup into a 2L bottle with yeast and water?

I have no clue what to do or where to start.

thanks guys. if i need to start a new thread let me know.

If you're carbonating with yeast, you don't need to start with a syrup. You can brew a whole batch all at once.

I'd say give Stephen Cresswell's book a read. There are some beginner recipes there to get you started, all of which use yeast. They're all scaled to 1 gallon, so you'll need 2 2-Liter bottles per batch. Aside from the recipes, there's a lot of good information there to get you started.

According to the link above, there's a copy checked in at the Library in Sandy. They should also have some homebrew books on the same shelf. I think that will definitely be your best place to start.

thanks so much man. Hey, so what did you graduate in? im gonna guess some sorta chemistry or food major?

And whats in PA?

thanks for the link. I LOVE the local library here.

Back