Critique my simple IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
First try at an IPA. What do you think. I'd like something slighty fruity and smooth.

5.5 gallons in the fermentor. All grain full boil

95% 17 lbs Rahr Two-Row info
3% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
2% 6 oz Cara-Pils
AAU
boil 60 mins 2.0 oz Yakima Magnumpellet 13.0
boil 20 mins 1.0 oz Willamette pellet 5.5
boil 10 mins 1.0 oz Willamette pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 1.0 oz Willamette pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade

79 IBU's
9 SRM
7.6% ABV
1.076 OG
1.019 FG

The grains look pretty standard, so you're good there. But really, it depends on what you're going for here. If you want a more complex flavor, then I would suggest adding more varieties of hops to your dry hop bill. Maybe some simcoe or centennial (or both).

I may be a fool, but I see nothing fruity in there. But I do see a solid simplistic recipe, go with it, it will be good. I also didn't see a yeast, something very neutral would be nice.
It's actually nice to see a recipe that doesn't have 5 malts and 6 hops. A simple nitpick, I never do 1 minute additions, you just get more aroma from a flame out addition after the wort is down to 180f or so.

In brewing, sometimes less is more. imo

-

Just tapped my IPA recently that I dry hopped with 2oz of falconers flight pellets. They're a blend of various pacific NW hops and the aroma is fantastic : big, juicy, grapefruity deliciousness. I'd recommend them as a simple way to dry hop that will result in the more complex aroma you would typically get from dry hopping with a variety of different hops.

I think your recipe looks pretty good, and unique at that. If you can find it, Bison Brewing company has a series of single hop IPAs, and it seems like I've seen a lot of the Willamette version around. I'm not crazy about Willamette but some people really like it.

Also, you have a pretty high OG, and I see that you've calculated your IBUs so that the BU/GU ratio is 1/1. I'd add a little extra bittering in there just to make sure the beer has enough bitterness. I feel like the IBU calculators work until you get up to about 70, and then I feel like you have to add like 33% more to achieve the calculated bitterness. Something to think about.

Back