Maris Otter All Grain BREAD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Yes... Marris Otter bread.

Mashing the grains on the stove now... yeast is already proofed. I will post pics and recipe here when I get the dough rising.

These are NOT spent grains, but freshly milled Marris.

We have a cooking forum? MODS, please feel free to move.

Here are a few prep pics.

Proofing Yeast
P1020325.JPG

Cracked Marris Otter for the mash
P1020324.JPG

Marris Mash for the bread dough
P1020323.JPG

Alright I know nothing about cooking but I may have to make me some of this. MO is my favorite grain to use, and I bet it makes a tasty bread.

Heh, we will see...

I am bored (on call, no call) and still in my brewing/cooking mood from my session yesterday. SO, here I am... messing with this.

I will post the recipe AFTER it is baked and tasted!

Looks yummy, smells yummy... the dough is rising now.

P1020326.JPG

Damn, how about you fly over and bring me a loaf?

I really should bake bread more often than I do.

Edit: Makes a heck of a lot more sense to use non-spent grains too. I've nibbled on some spent grain and it's usually pretty bland.

Bread from malted grain? Is that at all normal? I'm only asking 'cos I'm a bread *******.:eek:

If my MIL hears about this, my MO could end up in short supply!

I have never heard of making bread from malted grains... and definately NEVER head of mashing it and including the "wort" from said grains in the bread. I think the yeasties are going to LOVE the converted sugars :)

I am bored... it is snowing like mad... my IMPERIAL APA is chugging along. Thought it was time for an experiment.

I have never heard of making bread from malted grains... and definately NEVER head of mashing it and including the "wort" from said grains in the bread. I think the yeasties are going to LOVE the converted sugars :)

I am bored... it is snowing like mad... my IMPERIAL APA is chugging along. Thought it was time for an experiment.
Ah!!! OK!! I can relate to that! For a second there I thought you knew what you were doing!! :D

Most flour mills actually add a certain amount of barley malt (presumably in the form of dry malt extract) to their flours especially bread flours to help feed the yeast. So it makes perfect sense.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Care to add a little more detail as to your recipe and process?

Most flour mills actually add a certain amount of barley malt (presumably in the form of dry malt extract) to their flours especially bread flours to help feed the yeast. So it makes perfect sense.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Care to add a little more detail as to your recipe and process?

I will only post the recipe IF it is edible... and post worthy.

There IS 1.5 cups of milled MO in it. I "mashed" it on the stove top with about 2.5 cups of water. I did not look at the temp, I just stuck a finger in it until it reminded me of the many times I had stuck my finger in my own mash. I mashed for about 45 minutes (no mashout HA HA)

The grain and wort all went in the mixing bowl... obviously.

The wort was extremely sweet (duh) and the yeast was extremely active when I mixed it all up. So far it looks like it may double in size in a matter of 45 minutes.

Hopefully I will be munching on this and drinking some HB in front of the fire later.

I beat it down... divided it into (2) circular loaves and letting it proof before popping it in the oven.

Wow,
I can feel the love way up here. And smell something like a bizzaro bread a cooking. And what was this breads OG? :fro:
Love, is a many spendid thing......

I never did measure the OG... HA HA... but it DID cross my mind!

Interesting. I was thinking of using my the remainder of my last runnings (1.010) to put into a loaf on Sunday. I did use 1.5T of DME in the bread. Mrs. Jass thought it was the best loaf I've made.
Keep us posted, Pol.

I bake bread with grains more often than I brew. :) I use spent grains, leftover cracked grains, and whatever that looks like it might have been in the fridge too long for brewing but not too long for bread.

Makes the house smell great.

I like to experiment with different types of grain too to get lighter or darker breads.

The bread is in the oven... in about 40 minutes I should know if I completely wasted my afternoon!

Yeah, but does he do an all grain mash as the base for his dough? :p

Twice today. The little Platypus of Death is going to stay up a couple more weeks and I'll change it again. You should be unyieldingly following my every post and you would understand what's going on :p

Here it is!!! Tasting it in a minute... oh, and look at the time. I can DRINK too! :D

P1020332.JPG

It is GOOD, it is noticeably sweet, from the stove top mash that I did with the MO... wow, I made something.

Oh come on....you got us all excited and all you can say is it's GOOD?!?!?! I need more descriptive words than GOOD!!! Man, what a let down.

;)

No... well, not really no. It is slightly sweet, not overpowering.. but it is definately there.

Ok you proved it is good.... now I need a recipe!

.... Of course I'll modify it to use some 2-row and vienna to get the maltiness, eventually change it up and throw in some roasted barley and chocolate malt and make me some stout bread.

Start with 1.5 cups of crushed MO
Heat 2.5 cups of water to approx 170F...
Toss in the grains... turn burner on LOW and periodically mix the "mash"
Mash for 45 minutes

Warm 1.5 cups of water to 100F and rehyrate some active bread yeast, it should be nice and foamy by the time your "mash" is complete.

After the "mash" is complete, pour grain and wort into mixing bowl, allow to cool to approx. 100F prior to introducing the yeast slurry.

Add yeast slurry, a pinch of salt, and anywhere from 4-6 cups of bread flour. Create a stiff dough and let rise.

Once it has doubled in size, punch it down and split into 2 loaves. Let these loaves double in size again on greased baking pans.

Place loaves in a pre-heated 375F oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is no longer doughey. (is that a word?)

In my recipe locator... like as a recipe under my profile?

Back