Purple Session Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

organicrust

Reaction score
Alright, for my next brew, I have three objectives:

1. Brew a session APA with an OG of 1.032-1.035

2. Hop this beer with HBC 342 exclusively.

3. Brew it with forbidden rice to obtain an amber to purple color to complement the expected fruitiness of HBC 342.

Yes it is a weird idea, but once I started thinking about it I figured that I had to try it. I am going to brew a test batch of about 2.5 gal this weekend.

Forbidden rice is a black rice that derives its color from increased anthocyanin expression. In water at neutral to acidic pH, anthocyanins appear purple to red in color.

I cobbled together this grain bill to include a fair percentage of forbidden rice and hopefully enough malt character to support it. The beer is already low gravity by design, so I don't want it drying out too much.

The grain bill was also selected to give the beer an amber or red color that should reinforce the purple of the anthocyanins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Batch Size: 2.5 gal
OG: 1.033
Eff: 75%
IBU: 38.6 (I anticipate lower because I am using a lower boil vol)
Boil Time: 45 min

1 lb Munich 32%
1 lb Pale Malt 32%
0.5 lb Forbidden Rice 16%
6 oz C60 12 %
4 oz Caraaroma 8%

0.2 oz HBC 342 45'
0.5 oz HBC 342 15'
0.5 oz HBC 342 5'
0.75 HBC 342 0'
---------------------------------------------------

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any input. Thank you.

How'd this turn out?

Sounds like a super interesting brew! Picked up some at my local co-op as I love it as a rice and had the same thoughts about it as a potential brew. I would agree it would pair nicely with a fruity/citrusy hop.

Was hoping to dig up some info on this, found this old thread! Even if you're still not around, heck I think I might try it (or a similar concept)

Without knowing the results the one comment I would make is lower it the IBU's. For 2 reasons: in a beer that light, 38 IBU would be really bitter, and 2) I would want to taste the effect of the wild rice which I think could be challenging with the IBUs too high especially with a high BU/GU. But, then again I almost always take the suggested IBUs in a recipe in "half" by bumping my hop additions back in the boil. So I could be biased!

Cheers!!

Wooden

Alright, for my next brew, I have three objectives:

1. Brew a session APA with an OG of 1.032-1.035

2. Hop this beer with HBC 342 exclusively.

3. Brew it with forbidden rice to obtain an amber to purple color to complement the expected fruitiness of HBC 342.

Yes it is a weird idea, but once I started thinking about it I figured that I had to try it. I am going to brew a test batch of about 2.5 gal this weekend.

Forbidden rice is a black rice that derives its color from increased anthocyanin expression. In water at neutral to acidic pH, anthocyanins appear purple to red in color.

I cobbled together this grain bill to include a fair percentage of forbidden rice and hopefully enough malt character to support it. The beer is already low gravity by design, so I don't want it drying out too much.

The grain bill was also selected to give the beer an amber or red color that should reinforce the purple of the anthocyanins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Batch Size: 2.5 gal
OG: 1.033
Eff: 75%
IBU: 38.6 (I anticipate lower because I am using a lower boil vol)
Boil Time: 45 min

1 lb Munich 32%
1 lb Pale Malt 32%
0.5 lb Forbidden Rice 16%
6 oz C60 12 %
4 oz Caraaroma 8%

0.2 oz HBC 342 45'
0.5 oz HBC 342 15'
0.5 oz HBC 342 5'
0.75 HBC 342 0'
---------------------------------------------------

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any input. Thank you.

Its too bad he never updated the thread. I would be really interested to try this in my rice pilsner that I make. It would be cool to have a purple pils!

Recipe is as follows:

OG 1.046
FG 1.010
IBU 21

5lbs Pilsen malt
4lbs rice (cooked)
8oz carapils
4oz acid malt

Cook the all the rice in a pot or a rice cooker and then add to the start of the mash. The malt enzymes will convert all the rice starches. I BIAB which made removing the rice/grains very easy. I usually mash around 150F for this. Once the grains are pulled, begin boil and add hops:

.25oz Motueka @ 60
.25oz each Motueka/Sorachi @ 20
.25oz Sorachi @ 5

I used WLP029 Kolsch yeast but any clean yeast will do

Make it and let me know! I haven't made a Pils yet but my dad loves them. Do it! Cheers!

Its too bad he never updated the thread. I would be really interested to try this in my rice pilsner that I make. It would be cool to have a purple pils!

Recipe is as follows:

OG 1.046
FG 1.010
IBU 21

5lbs Pilsen malt
4lbs rice (cooked)
8oz carapils
4oz acid malt

Cook the all the rice in a pot or a rice cooker and then add to the start of the mash. The malt enzymes will convert all the rice starches. I BIAB which made removing the rice/grains very easy. I usually mash around 150F for this. Once the grains are pulled, begin boil and add hops:

.25oz Motueka @ 60
.25oz each Motueka/Sorachi @ 20
.25oz Sorachi @ 5

I used WLP029 Kolsch yeast but any clean yeast will do

Back