Slippery bung syndrome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stocktonbrew

Reaction score
I did two brews yesterday. All went well up until I went to put the last bung in the fermenter and....20 minutes later I am still twisting and turning and the bung keeps slipping. Finally, the beer Gods smiled down on me and it stayed down. Long day.

I bought one of those silicone airlocks that have the flap that opens up, and every time I forgot and tried to use it the damn thing gets pushed too far in and stuck in whatever I put it in. Pain in the arse!

I started to lose it and almost lost the bung in the neck. All at once instead of pushing it out, i pushed too far and it tried to suck it all the way in. I was at my wits end.

In a semi-related topic....does anyone know if they sell carboy caps for the round lipped carboys? I've got on that I can use it on, but two have different lids and don't allow the cap to fit. I'd like to start not worrying about these air lock issues.

may seem too obvious of suggestion but did you try to wipe dry with a paper towel a bung and carboy neck?

That's what I do. If you worried about it not being sanitized at that point you can put it in a sanitized jar and let it drip dry for a minute.

I tried the paper towel trick, but it still slipped. It felt tight like it was starting to bite, then it would slowely slide up. Slowly driving me insane. My wife was laughing at me and that didnt help either.

I have had the same problem with some of my carboys. I use universal bungs. Don't know what size they are. Solved it by pushing the bung into the neck of the carboy. Applying very slight pressure I let it slip upward until it stops and then hold it there for a few seconds. This give the bung time to reshape and stay in that position.

I have had the same problem with them, especially when using starsan as that makes it more slippery. They sound like a great idea in theory but far too many times did I check on a batch and find the bung had just popped out. YMMV but I just use carboy hoods and good ole regular stoppers and airlocks.

That's what I do. If you worried about it not being sanitized at that point you can put it in a sanitized jar and let it drip dry for a minute.

May just be my equipment but I've had zero luck getting a recently sanitized bung to stay put. Either have to wipe it completely dry (and hope your paper towels aren't too contaminated) or let it air dry thoroughly (hours to days depending on air temp and humidity) before inserting.

I swear I was thinking about duct tape! I was wore out from doing two mashes, rehydrating yeast, and all the rest that goes with it. But i got lucky and it finally held on.

Sounds like a job for duct tape.

+1 for duct tape
duct.jpg

Back