Yeast off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasbek

Reaction score
brewed a NB Calif'a common & racked too much yeast into secondary. Didn't realize until 2nd week so beer had been on yeast for 4 weeks. I racked into a clean carboy for 2 more weeks.just tried the beer after a week in the bottle, & there is an off flavor. If due to yeast, will it age out??

Couple of things:

1. You will need to describe the off-flavor
2. I've had beers in Primary for much longer than this without any off-flavors.

Likely the off-flavors aren't from being with the yeast for too long. However, that doesn't mean that the off-flavor isn't from your yeast.

Once you describe the off-flavor a little more, then maybe we can help you.

As Haputanlas said we need more info on the flavor.

Wonder if all the racking it around may have introduced oxygen into the wort?

Agreed, that is not too much time to ferment on the cake in a homebrew setup. Racking also introduces chances for bacteria to be introduced that may have slipped by sanitization. Joints in the racking equipment can harbor this.

Here is a list of common off flavors that might help you narrow it down:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

This is not my strong point but i will try to describe.... It is an aftertaste, after the flavor of the beer comes through, and quite acidic. Seems to be at the back of the tongue, if that makes sense. It doesn't RUIN the beer, but it would be nice if it at least mellowed a little.

I find that if I bottle carb my beer higher than 3.0 volumes I get the acidic taste of carbonic acid. This could due to over carbonating due to improperly measured priming sugar, bottling before fg is reached, and of course a possible infection in the bottle.

"just tried the beer after a week in the bottle, & there is an off flavor. "

The acidic bite is most likely small amounts of acetaldehyde produced when the yeast fermented the bottling sugar. Give them another week or two and it should disappear.

Did you taste the beer before bottling? How was it then?

Billl, I did and I just thought to add this before you asked, the taste I think was present before bottling.

Back