Honey IPA first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
1/2 lb Briess Caramel 40L

1/2 lb English Medium Crystal steep for 20 mins

Hello
Just wondering on any thought on this recipe before I brew it. Would like a little honey profile but not much. I like hoppy beers but not to bitter, this eems to fott the bill on paper. Any suggestions? Thank you

6 0 lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup 60 mins

1 lb Briess Amber DME 60 mins

3.15 lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup 15 mins

1 oz centennial 60 mins
2 oz centennial 20 mins
1 oz cascade 10 mins
2 oz cascade 5 mins

1 lb Orange blossum honey end boil

1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz citra dry hop

I brew the brewers best IPA an added 1 Cup of honey to the secondary 5 gallons gone in 6 days now its always on tap at my place

What "exactly" do you want from this beer in terms of body, flavor, and aroma? You can say what is your perfect IPA to 10 people and get 10 different responses that vary between sweet, dry, lots of caramel notes, bready, balanced, unbalanced, full bodied, light bodied, low malt character, bitter bomb, fruity, citrusy, piney, etc. - Saying, "I'd like bitter, but not too bitter" and "I'd like honey, but not too much honey" is relative to the individual and not very descriptive.

As far as how much and when to add honey, I have made three honey IPAs with 10-15% honey in the fermentables. The last one is in the primary now. Plan to add the honey quickly after primary fermentation this time. Both times prior, I added the honey about 10 mins before pitching the yeast when the wort was about 80 F.

Bob, I'm really interested to reading more about adding honey. Currently, I had one pound of honey at 1 min left in the boil with my Brown Ale. I like the honey flavor that I experience in it, but I wonder what the differences are if I add it before pitching versus if I add it after primary?

Wow I may need to think about this all :)
I like a hoppy beer and I am going for more of a citrus profile and some spice.
I dont know at this time how bitter is too bitter. I dont want the bittterness to overide that flavor on you tonuge. But I want it all to linger after drinking. I also like the carmel and malt in this. Guess you could say I am looking for everything I like, so thats why I made this recipe up

As far as aroma I would like alot of the citrus for the nose, basic reason for dry hopping with cascade and citra I have like that in other kits I have made or added too.

Citra in the dryhop doesn't give you a ton of citrus; it gives you a pronounced fruity tropicalness.

Ok thats sounds good to me on the citra. I guess I will have to figure out more of what I want to say :) But other then this does that hop addition and timing look ok?

So much disscusion on here about when to add the honey and what to do with it as far a leave it natural or pasterise it. I was going to add at the end of the boil to get some of the honey taste but yet maybe cook off anything bad. Is this a good idea? Or should you just pour in the fermentor after a couple days. I want some of the honey to come through taste wise. If I want fuller honey taste on the next try I will go with a honey malt.

Back