Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I didn't get this posted last night, it was a long long day.

But here is the Google Earth places list with all the beer related places I know of.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1892041634/BeerPlaces.kmz

Like I said, it isn't perfect. There are some duplicates and I am sure there is a ton of stuff missing.

Let me know what you guys think.

At a minimum we should all try to add and update for a perfect sheet we can all use. Regardless of whether we can coordinate a drunk bus haha. It would be really cool to have most or all of the places on the map.

Thanks for sharing this Dan

I cant think of a good way to do that though. Unless every time it was updated you deleted your copy in Google Earth and imported the new one.

I had this problem with SWMBO's version. I would do a bunch of work to it on my computer then have to delete them all from hers and import the new one.

I cant think of a good way to do that though. Unless every time it was updated you deleted your copy in Google Earth and imported the new one.

I had this problem with SWMBO's version. I would do a bunch of work to it on my computer then have to delete them all from hers and import the new one.

oh I got you. Rats! Not something that can be shared simaltaneously like a google doc

oh I got you. Rats! Not something that can be shared simaltaneously like a google doc

Well I have not explored it for a while.

Let me see if I can find some time to play with it. It would make sense that Google would add a way to collaborate with it.

I have known companies to use Google Earth heavily and it was a nightmare when people said they wanted places other people had. Everyone was changing their own copies but wanting to import from someone else. We eventually told them we would not support google earth places.

Completely unrelated. I just found this chart the other day. REALLY good info at a glance if you are getting into lagers.

I had bought two 838 strains (was highly recommended) and have washed yeast for WLP800 for my bohemian pils. Wanted to grab the 820 for an Octoberfest but it wasnt in stock. Anyway... Found out that the 838 produces great results for that style as well. Looks like it is time to use a bunch of frozen leftover wort for a huge starter!

Smashing said:
I did a little playing and think I'm going to go with this....

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.1 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 17.0 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.5 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.4 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 22.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 3.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -

If it doesn't come out - I blame you! LOL! :D

BTW: Please post that Jamil recipe - I don't have his book.

I'm brewing this sucker right now and experiencing my slowest sparge ever. It's got to be the sticky rye. I guess I have to get some rice hulls before my next brew with it.

I'm brewing this sucker right now and experiencing my slowest sparge ever. It's got to be the sticky rye. I guess I have to get some rice hulls before my next brew with it.

Do you batch sparge in 2 shots? Or add all the water in before your batch sparge in 1 shot?

At 2lbs it shouldn't be enough to get a stuck sparge, unless the mash was super thick. But YMMV of course :D

I think I was a little thick with my mash. I used 2 rounds for my sparge, it works better with my pots and lifting. It eased up quite a bit on the second round. Boiling away now! Sure smells good. I thing i'm going to have to save my pennies for a pump.....

I think I was a little thick with my mash. I used 2 rounds for my sparge, it works better with my pots and lifting. It eased up quite a bit on the second round. Boiling away now! Sure smells good. I thing i'm going to have to save my pennies for a pump.....

Gotcha, that was probably it.

I usually toss in some hulls when I brew with closer to half of the grain bill with adjuncts, but an amount that small I typically wouldn't.

I would ask how the wort smelled. But to me pretty much every batch of wort I have sniffed smells awesome :D

That is crazy cheap for a 5 gallon. I got all my keg stuff from them, great customer service.

if we bought in bulk we could likely get a deal on these. But for me the timing is off haha, not ready to sink in that cost yet.

For those that are interested. I quickly created a Facebook group page called S.M.A.S.H. Homebrewers. When I find time, I will look more into what can be done there. Looks like there is a spot to upload documents etc. maybe good for recipes charts etc?

Let me know if you have problems finding it as this is the first time I set up a group page

For those that are interested. I quickly created a Facebook group page called S.M.A.S.H. Homebrewers. When I find time, I will look more into what can be done there. Looks like there is a spot to upload documents etc. maybe good for recipes charts etc?

Let me know if you have problems finding it as this is the first time I set up a group page

Does this mean I am actually going to have to sign up for FaceBook? I have been able to avoid it all these years.

brian4508 said:

Link? I can't find it in search.

hmm Im not able to find it..any one else try yet?

Well, finished my P.A. an it seems very promising! Probably the most malty PA I've done which is something I was trying to do. Great rye flavor too. We'll see if I feel the same way in a few weeks.

DannSchuler said:
Does this mean I am actually going to have to sign up for FaceBook? I have been able to avoid it all these years.

Same here. I'm not sure I'm ready to cave.

And FWIW, I really liked the grain hog name :)

I caved in... but can't promise I will be on point with responding ha!

I blame denny bourbon vanilla porter - the good one in a 22 w/o accidental extra jim beam black

request sent

That's great! So when does round 8 start! I just wrapped up a double brew day and have another planned for tomorrow.

Mparsons327 said:
That's great! So when does round 8 start! I just wrapped up a double brew day and have another planned for tomorrow.

Cidah, twogunZ and I were talking about this. We are gonna hold off a month or so before opening the next one. It just fills too fast if we open it soon. Sounds like we are targeting late fall for the next buy also.

Great job to those that coordinated this. As a first timer, I will definitely be doing this again It helped bringing the wife to show her I actually didn't buy that much... Compared to you guys at least!! This means more for me next time!!

Back