Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdWort said:
Shouldn't be necessary. Patience will do it if you use Montrachet yeast. If you used something, else, then maybe someone will chime in.

Thanks Ed. I did use Red Star Montrachet yeast ..... but as this was my second batch of AW, I decided to experiment.... another dumb move on my part.... by using 4 cans of concentrate instead of the corn sugar. Checked the hydrometer reading today: ~1.008 at room temp and sampled some. At least at this time its nowhere as tasty as my first original recipe batch.

I'll take another sample in a week & see where we're at. Maybe the cloudiness comes from the concentrate. Another lesson learned .... K*I*S*S (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

Cheers

EdWort said:
I store mine in kegs, but have left it in the primary for 3 months without any issues. You can rack it to a secondary after two months and keep it there for several months with no problem. If you can purge the carboy with CO2 before racking, that would best, otherwise, racking to a keg is best.

Even though I've been brewing for a while, I still dont keg. No space or money. Anyone else have recommendations on how they store once it is done. I'm sure I can keep it in the carboy for a long time...but I dont exactly want to siphon some out every time I want to drink some. :D

Edcculus said:
Even though I've been brewing for a while, I still dont keg. No space or money. Anyone else have recommendations on how they store once it is done. I'm sure I can keep it in the carboy for a long time...but I dont exactly want to siphon some out every time I want to drink some. :D
Bottle ofcourse. Still you can bottle in wine bottles if you prefer but beer bottles work well also. If you want to have sparkling Apfelwein then prime and bottle as you would beer.

Craig

Howdy all...new here. Only my second post. This might help a few folks though.
I used brown sugar as a substitue for the corn sugar as I didnt wanna drive to my LHBS to get some and I didnt see any at the store.

For brown sugar you would compact it into your measuring cup (push it down) but the conversion is 2-1/3 Cup of brown sugar = one pound. So for me doing a 6 gallon bag it came out to 5.5 cups of brown sugar. I went ahead and rounded up as more sugar = more alcohol and put 6 cups of brown sugar in my mix.

You can add these numbers up easy for yourself no matter what size batch you have.

figure .92 cups of Brown Sugar per gallon based on EdWorts recipe! :)

Or you could just round up and use a cup of Brown sugar per gallon....should be fine ;)

From the Imperial Sugar Website....
1-lb. granulated sugar = 2-1/4 cups
1-lb. carton brown sugar = 2-1/3 to 2-2/3 cup (brown sugar is packed and will vary with individual)

Dear God, I wish I had read this thread about the yeast nutrient before I did this... the smell is horiffic. Thankfully I have it in my second bathroom with the door closed and the vent fan on...

Shakz said:
Howdy all...new here. Only my second post. This might help a few folks though.
I used brown sugar as a substitue for the corn sugar as I didnt wanna drive to my LHBS to get some and I didnt see any at the store.

For brown sugar you would compact it into your measuring cup (push it down) but the conversion is 2-1/3 Cup of brown sugar = one pound. So for me doing a 6 gallon bag it came out to 5.5 cups of brown sugar. I went ahead and rounded up as more sugar = more alcohol and put 6 cups of brown sugar in my mix.

You can add these numbers up easy for yourself no matter what size batch you have.

figure .92 cups of Brown Sugar per gallon based on EdWorts recipe! :)

Or you could just round up and use a cup of Brown sugar per gallon....should be fine ;)

From the Imperial Sugar Website....
1-lb. granulated sugar = 2-1/4 cups
1-lb. carton brown sugar = 2-1/3 to 2-2/3 cup (brown sugar is packed and will vary with individual)

Brown sugar probably won't ferment as completely as corn sugar, so you will probably end up with a higher FG/lower ABV, but good nonetheless.

I am considering brown sugar in my next batch.

Beerrific said:
Brown sugar probably won't ferment as completely as corn sugar, so you will probably end up with a higher FG/lower ABV, but good nonetheless.

I am considering brown sugar in my next batch.

Well since I put a half a cup of extra sugar in my mix maybe it will balance out to a decent alcohol content thats not so dry. That would be cool. Depending on how this turns out I might go with a bit more suger and a more aggressive yeast.

ryser2k said:
Dear God, I wish I had read this thread about the yeast nutrient before I did this... the smell is horiffic. Thankfully I have it in my second bathroom with the door closed and the vent fan on...

Ah, it gets better after a day or so. The sweet smell of Apfelwein bubbling away. Now get that second carboy started. You'll thank me later. :D

After 33 days...
Apfelwein.jpg

Tasty but a bit dry.

EdWort said:
Ah, it gets better after a day or so. The sweet smell of Apfelwein bubbling away. Now get that second carboy started. You'll thank me later. :D

God I hope so... if somebody uses that bathroom they will wonder what I've been eating lately :mug:

Shakz said:
Well since I put a half a cup of extra sugar in my mix maybe it will balance out to a decent alcohol content thats not so dry. That would be cool. Depending on how this turns out I might go with a bit more suger and a more aggressive yeast.

More Sugar = More Alcohol = More Wickedly Dry.

2lbs + 5 gal of juice renders 8.5% ABV. Its dangerously delicious. Next day you be saying WTF did I do last night. :D

If you want it less dry AW. Use 1 can concentrate per gal of juice, use RED STAR Cote De Blancs Yeast and back-sweeten at bottling time. Backsweeten with 1/3 cup Splenda per gal or 1lb of lactose/5 gal. Carb like beer. 5oz corn sugar. This renders a 7% ABV.

I have also used 16oz cans of oregon fruit per gallon of juice, but I rack it to a 2ndary when I use fruit. Basically I ferment as normal, then introduce the fruit to the 2ndary and rack to it then let it rip 2-3 weeks more.

Raspberry & Strawberry are panty removers!!! :rockin:

I've got to bottle my blackberry this weekend.

Schlenkerla said:
More Sugar = More Alcohol = More Wickedly Dry.

2lbs + 5 gal of juice renders 8.5% ABV. Its dangerously delicious. Next day you be saying WTF did I do last night. :D

If you want it less dry AW. Use 1 can concentrate per gal of juice, use RED STAR Cote De Blancs Yeast and back-sweeten at bottling time. Backsweeten with 1/3 cup splend per gal or 1lb of lactose/5 gal. Carb like beer. 5oz corn sugar. This renders a 7% ABV.

I have also used 16oz cans of oregon fruit per gallon of juice, but I rack it to a 2ndary when I use fruit. Basically I ferment as normal, then introduce the fruit to the 2ndary and rack to it then let it rip 2-3 weeks more.

Raspberry & Strawberry are panty removers!!! :rockin:

I've got to bottle my blackberry this weekend.
Ever done anything with cranberry?

That is my next one. Trying to decide what to do to balance the tartness of the cranberry while maintaining the dryness.

Beerrific said:
Ever done anything with cranberry?

That is my next one. Trying to decide what to do to balance the tartness of the cranberry while maintaining the dryness.

No not yet! Not fermented so far. I make this at Christmas and the proportions are just right.

~ 1 gal of mulled cider

12 Cups of Apple Juice
6 Cups of Cranberry Juice
½ Cup of Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Butter
2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
1-2 Tablespoons of Penzey’s Mulling Spice
Blend of Cinnamon, Clove, Allspice, Cardamom & Mace​

1/3 cranberry 2/3 apple juice

Boil the spices & sugar in a small amount of H20 so you don't set pectins or contaminate the AW. Then pitch the rest into a fermentor

You'd wanna scratch the butter!!! :D

If you want to extract fresh cranberry try one or two frozen bags of mashed or chopped cranberry in blender for 5 gal.

Northern Brewer or Williams Brewing has cranberry extract I think. One of the bigger websites have it on hand. I don't remember which one.

Hope this helps....

Schlenkerla said:
No not yet! Not fermented so far. I make this at Christmas and the proportions are just right.

~ 1 gal of mulled cider

12 Cups of Apple Juice
6 Cups of Cranberry Juice
½ Cup of Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Butter
2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
1-2 Tablespoons of Penzey’s Mulling Spice
Blend of Cinnamon, Clove, Allspice, Cardamom & Mace​

1/3 cranberry 2/3 apple juice

Boil the spices & sugar in a small amount of H20 so you don't set pectins or contaminate the AW. Then pitch the rest into a fermentor

You'd wanna scratch the butter!!! :D

If you want to extract fresh cranberry try one frozen bag mashed or chopped in blender for 5 gal.

Northern Brewer or Williams Brewing has cranberry extract I think. One of the bigger websites have it on hand. I don't remember which one.

Hope this helps....

Yeah thanks.
If I hadn't heard anything I was going with:
4 gallons Apple juice
1 gallon cranberry juice blend
1 can apple juice concentrate
1-2 pound sugar of some sort leaning toward brown
heat sugar (unless corn) in pot with apple juice and a couple sticks of cinnamon and maybe other spices

The vanilla sounds good too.

I will probably bottle this one still and heat up before serving.

Your recipe sounds good. I will say the the mulling spice really makes it festive for the holiday. I suppose you can mull after the fact or mull before fermenting.

Here is the website for extract.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16747/102194

Penzey's

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysmulledwine.html

I think I'll make something like this for the holiday it sounds good. Let me know what you do and how it turns out. OK

BTW - Less sugar will be better, less dry, I'd also backsweeten at bottling with splenda or lactose.

Schlenkerla said:
Your recipe sounds good. I will say the the mulling spice really makes it festive for the holiday. I suppose you can mull after the fact or mull before fermenting.

Here is the website for extract.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16747/102194

Penzey's

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysmulledwine.html

I think I'll make something like this for the holiday it sounds good. Let me know what you do and how it turns out. OK

I might wait and add the spices after the fact, not sure right now.

Do you think the amount of cranberry sounds good? Cranberry isn't very sweet so I don't think much of the flavor will ferment out. I would rather use the 'juice blend' than order extract.

I need to get another carboy for this, as soon as I get it going I will post here.:mug:

Its sounds good and pretty conservative for a 1st stab. 4:1 verses my 2:1

Try a small one gallon batch and see how you like it, I'd say it'll be tart w/o back sweetening. Do that before you go to 5 gal.

I've seen a few cranberry beers somewhere. I'll look for them. OK

I found a cranberry maibock but it called for 1 can of cranberry sauce per gal of beer. Sounds damn tart. it also called for a jar of orange marmalade too.

I'd go with what you have and make a small batch. I don't think you'd be over doing it at all. Less is always better than too much. On batch number two you could up it a little.

I bottled my first batch(classic recipe) a bit over a week ago after about 4 weeks in the carboy. It is amazing. Dry, tart and a small amount of carb(better than the still was).

This will be brewed again quickly, that is for sure.

:drunk:

Beerrific said:
Do you think the amount of cranberry sounds good? Cranberry isn't very sweet so I don't think much of the flavor will ferment out. I would rather use the 'juice blend' than order extract.
Check with a natural foods store or in the organic section of your grocery. My grocery store has 100% Cranberry juice in the organic section. The juice blends usually contain only a little cranberry and mostly apple or white grape. A bottle or two of the real thing should give you better control of the flavor.
"WARNING - 100% Cranberry juice is a very strong, tart juice, use sparingly".

Craig

I think you have a good ratio if you use cranberry cocktail juice. I think 4:1 is very conservate 2:1 will give it a little bite but I don't think its too much on unfermented juice when I make it up.

I went back to look at your recipe, it has apple juice concentrate. - You'll be at a ratio slightly higher than 4:1. It sounds like a good starting point.

Am about 3 days from bottling my first batch, and everything is going well, but I used red star champagne yeast. Thinking yeast is yeast, right??
I swear it just hit me today, that this stuff might shoot out like champagne when opened.
Flame on at the noob, and help if you have any suggestions about maybe priming with less than the recommended amount of sugar, or just bottling w/o sugar (it is a pretty good drink just as it is)
thanks in advance,
Norm

I have been staring at this thread for about a week now, and I am salivating...... I'm thinking of trying a batch for myself, then doing a second with double the sugar and bottle it like a table wine... viola! instant Christmas presents! While I did make it through 40 some odd pages of text, has anyone (I'm sure you have) bottled it like wine?

deathweed said:
I have been staring at this thread for about a week now, and I am salivating...... I'm thinking of trying a batch for myself, then doing a second with double the sugar and bottle it like a table wine... viola! instant Christmas presents! While I did make it through 40 some odd pages of text, has anyone (I'm sure you have) bottled it like wine?

I don't recommend adding more than 3 pounds of dextrose to a 5 gallon batch. Any more will make it drier than a popcorn fart. :D

Quick question, why 6 weeks? I've had mine going for 3 weeks now and it seems that active fermentation is over. Is there any clarifying to speak of? Conditioning? There's basically no trub.

The reason i ask is i'm sick of waiting! Lol. BTW i did a 6 gallon batch with 1 packet of Montrachet. Maybe fermentation will take a bit longer.

Movinfr8 said:
Am about 3 days from bottling my first batch, and everything is going well, but I used red star champagne yeast. Thinking yeast is yeast, right??
I swear it just hit me today, that this stuff might shoot out like champagne when opened.
Flame on at the noob, and help if you have any suggestions about maybe priming with less than the recommended amount of sugar, or just bottling w/o sugar (it is a pretty good drink just as it is)
thanks in advance,
Norm

No - I think you are OK the champagne yeast is just a flavor/aroma style, like that of Flor Sherry, Cote De Blancs or the well known Montrachet.

Prime like beer 5oz by weight for 5 gallons or 1oz/gal. Just make sure its good and done before you bottle. The Final Gravity should be 1.000 or less. The cider should be clear. You can hold a flashligh to it and it should be see through. You will see tiny bubbles coming up forever so don't let that bother you if you see it at racking time.

Let it carb 3 weeks at room temp. Then fridge for 3-4 days. Drink cautiously.

:mug:

efreem01 said:
Quick question, why 6 weeks? I've had mine going for 3 weeks now and it seems that active fermentation is over. Is there any clarifying to speak of? Conditioning? There's basically no trub.

The reason i ask is i'm sick of waiting! Lol. BTW i did a 6 gallon batch with 1 packet of Montrachet. Maybe fermentation will take a bit longer.

If you can wait till its clear - the taste will be cleaner. Mine stayed in the fermentor for 12 weeks and I still had settling in the bottle after 3 weeks.

If you decide to blow off waiting, you need to start another so you can let it clear a little more. :mug:

I know... It's about damn time!!!
Followed Ed's recipe to a tee!!!

7-29-07020.jpg

Also, bought enough dextrose and yeast to start another batch in two weeks!!! :drunk:

I'll keep you posted... Thanks!!!

I was impressed with the cloudy color, and also impresses yesterday when I checked it had started to clear. I was so excited!

Schlenkerla said:
Drink cautiously.

SO TRUE
I have learned just from the hydrometer samples, and bottling leftovers, this ain't no liteweight, and I definitly will not think there is too little alcohol, like my first batch of ale!!
Norm
p.s. got it bottled a few minutes ago...

Schlenkerla said:
If you can wait till its clear - the taste will be cleaner. Mine stayed in the fermentor for 12 weeks and I still had settling in the bottle after 3 weeks.

If you decide to blow off waiting, you need to start another so you can let it clear a little more. :mug:

Instead of waiting an extra 3 weeks for the apfelwein to clear, would the process speed up if I cold crash the carboy in my lagering fridge?

efreem01 said:
Instead of waiting an extra 3 weeks for the apfelwein to clear, would the process speed up if I cold crash the carboy in my lagering fridge?

Nope, don't recommend it. Patience, grasshopper. No go start another batch. :D

Back