Canadian Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
Heading over to canada for the weekend and was planning on stopping at the Beer Store to bring some back. Any suggestions on good brands that I should go after?

I found Duty Free shops to not carry that good of a selection...Although I could be wrong, its been awhile since I've been.

They have their own Great Lakes brewery which makes a good 666 ale. I think they also have some mediocre breweries (Alexander Keith's, Steamwhistle, etc.). Dieu Du Ciel and Unibroue are good, but you can get those in the US.

Whatever the quality of Canadian beer, The Beer Store makes it hard on you.

The Beer Store is very limited in Canada because it's a monopoly owned by the big 3 breweries. What part of Canada are you coming over to? If you're coming into Ontario then look for an LCBO. They'll have a better selection of craft beers, especially around the Toronto area.

Coming into Ontario via Thousand Islands. Visitng family camp for weekend. is there an LCBO near there?

Theres one in Lansdowne if that's where you're coming in to. I've never been up that way so I can't say how large it is though.

Ontario has been coming out with some really great craft brews. If you have the opportunity look for an LCBO, there selections CAN be really good (can is the operative word, LCBO's around larger cities have a better selection for the most part). Breweries to look for:
Flying Monkey - Cascadian Dark Ale, Hoptical Illusion, Confederation Ale.
Mill St. - Coffee Porter, Tankhouse Ale, Lemon Tea Beer, Organic Lager
St. Ambroise - Oatmeal Stout
Skeena Brewing - Wolfgang's German Style Lager
Trafalgar Ales and Meads - Irish Red, Special Bitter
Great Lakes Brewery - Crazy Canuck, Devils Pale Ale 666, Green Tea Ale, Winter Ale,
Grand River Brewing - Galt Knife Old Style, Russian Gun
LCBO.com has a search function and you can look for brands by store location if you know the surrounding towns. ontariocraftbrewers.com also has a good beer search on their website. Hope I could help, Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies!!! This really helps a lot!! Its always exciting to get new beers to drink...

Back