How to make sure you really ruin your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmacva

Reaction score
Last Sunday Brew day. Trying a new recipe from AG, Lady Liberty American Pale Ale. I brew outside my detached garage using an outdoor cooker, four skinny legs. Go through all the steps mashing, etc to get my wort. Boil on cooker for 1 hour, follow hop schedule. Time to cool down. insert my wort chiller hook up the garden hose. put cooler outlet off back of cooker. Keep an eye on temps swirl cooler around a little bit. Then boom, cooker beer and everything else tips over backwards. 5 gallons of beer water lawn. Note to self, water from cooler softens ground, 40lbs of wort on cooker causes one leg to sink into saturated ground, cooker will not stand on three legs.
At least I still have my yeast.

That is one way to make sure someone does not say, "let it sit for a few months and try it again"!

Sorry to hear that. I feel for ya and I also bet a few choice words flew across the lips on that one!

8457.jpg

This truly gives a new meaning to "lawnmower beer"....now its gonna grow like mad & you won't have the beer to enjoy after cutting :(. Sorry for your loss.

I'm not so sure the beer is ruined... Dig a deep hole and make it into a well. Pull out buckets of the wort from the well until the well runs clear(er) and put it into your primary. Then pitch the yeast. Most of the dirt and grass will drop out in primary. I'd recommend using a secondary on this one.

Color of grass is not an indication of fermentation!! Always use a hydrometer!

Dude that sucks. Time to invest in a set of metal feet large enough to prevent this (or a sheet of metal that can catch boilovers too!)

"give them a foot, and they'll take a mile"
"the agony of de-feet"
"sounds like you dont have a leg to stand on"
"do what you can to get a leg up in this world"\
"spilled wort? I just dont stand for it"

phew! I think Im punned out.
-Jefe-

Just stick a small sheet of plywood under the burner next time.

Also, when you pour one for your homies it's traditionally at most 40oz. 5 gallons is just excessive bling.

You guys are hilarious. Definitely going to make some modifications to the legs or put it on something more solid. I was pretty exasperated at first, but it does make for a funny story. Ya gotta laugh at life sometimes.

Back