Found my co2 :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
So I called our local beer distributor and asked if they did deposits or refills on co2 tank and they said no, they use a local company called Geer Gas. I called them up and asked if they sold Co2 in tank on a deposit or anything and they said no, but they do sell the smaller tanks. I asked how much for a 5lb tank and she said, amazingly, $60 for a full tank including tax. All of the welding supply places I called wanted $85 for an empty tank + $12 to fill it up + tax. Cheapest online I could find for a 5lb tank was $57 empty plus shipping...

But... She said they're out of 5lb tanks and they usually sell out as soon as they get any in. But she did have some 15lb tanks available, for, get this, $75 with tax, filled. I looked up the dimensions and they're about the same height as the corny kegs, so a 15 lb tank should fit in the fridge fine. $75 for a 15lb tank full of co2 is much cheaper than I expected to pay. Looks like I'll be filling my first keg this weekend :)

debtman7 said:
So I called our local beer distributor and asked if they did deposits or refills on co2 tank and they said no, they use a local company called Geer Gas. I called them up and asked if they sold Co2 in tank on a deposit or anything and they said no, but they do sell the smaller tanks. I asked how much for a 5lb tank and she said, amazingly, $60 for a full tank including tax. All of the welding supply places I called wanted $85 for an empty tank + $12 to fill it up + tax. Cheapest online I could find for a 5lb tank was $57 empty plus shipping...

But... She said they're out of 5lb tanks and they usually sell out as soon as they get any in. But she did have some 15lb tanks available, for, get this, $75 with tax, filled. I looked up the dimensions and they're about the same height as the corny kegs, so a 15 lb tank should fit in the fridge fine. $75 for a 15lb tank full of co2 is much cheaper than I expected to pay. Looks like I'll be filling my first keg this weekend :)

So do I understand that Geer Gas sells them new and filled with CO2, but they won't refill them? Not a big deal, as there are other places that will refill. Just seems odd.

I'll be kegging the first time with ya!!!! Got CO2 today and kegs are waiting for the forth coming of Weizen.......NO MORE BOTTLES.....is it Christmas ALREADY???

beer4breakfast said:
So do I understand that Geer Gas sells them new and filled with CO2, but they won't refill them? Not a big deal, as there are other places that will refill. Just seems odd.

No, they fill them, they seem to supply pretty much everyone in town with co2. Refill on a 15lb tank is something like $12. I picked up my tank and I don't think they're new, but they're in good shape and the hydro stamp was 10/06, so good enough. $75 for a full tank isn't too shabby either considering my backup plan was a 5 lb empty tank from harbor freight for $60.

Back