Getting rid of iron and manganese in your water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So will activated carbon charcoal do it? I have a slight harshness that is transferred to all the beers that I brew. It has been brought to my attention that I should look at my water since it’s in ALL my beers. I am wondering, what is the best way to get rid of those 2 components in my water.
Cheers
JJ

ya I ws just looking at stuff called "the green sand" I guess it has manganese dioxide in it and is to filter out both manganese and Iron. But I guess I need to search a little more.
Cheers

Maybe run two filters in line, the first to get the manganese and iron, and then the charcoal to catch the other stuff.

One other option you have is to get yourself a small RO unit. This will take everything out of your water. Then by adding in stuff you could have customized water.

If you were really ingenious, you could get yourself a small aquarium tank, and the filter plate that goes in it, along with some pea gravel and some greensand and make your own iron filter.

Back