Re-starting a fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster-D

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

Quick question on an extract brew. I"m assuming that I wil have to pitch a new pack of yeast, but, last weekend I started a Red Ale BrewHouse extract batch, pitched the yeast, etc. It fermented quite quickly for the following day, but then stopped. NO bubles/ activity for a few days after, so I stirred it up a bit, but no result. I have one of those heating belts on my primary, so, temp should not be an issue. Anyone have any ideas why it may have started off vigorously then stopped? I will probbaly pitch a new pack of yeast later today, see if that does anything.

Thanks again!

D.

a short lag time is a good thing. means a good amount pitched, yeast had a good amount of oxygen to get it going. take a hydrometer reading. it may be attenuated (or 90% attenuated) and ready to rack to secondry for clarifying and conditioning.

you think so?
Could be....I just never thought that a fulll 5 gallon batch would ferment to complettion in 1.5 days. It bubbled vigorously for about a day,, 1.5 days, then no activity at all, whatsoever. Thats what kind of makes me think it didnt entirely finish... But il take another reading tonite, see where its at.

Thanks!

D.

I've seen it happen a couple of times, and there are numerous stories on here saying the same thing. Sometimes things just happen quickly...your hydrometer will tell you for sure. :cool:

Same thing....I started with a M/F Canadian extract, to which I added about 3 pounds of dme.

Absolutely furious action in the airlock for about 30 hours, then it stopped like an anchor.

Since I was nervous, plus the fact that real newbies never take a hydrometer reading, I thought I should add more malt and start again with another pitch of yeast.

It worked even more violently, about same period of time, then stopped again.

I waited about twelve days before bottling. Primed and bottled. Ten to fourteen days later, I drank.

Yuck! Still really sweet, almost a cidery tinge of taste, and does this stuff bubble as I pour it into a glass! The head is about three times the height of the level of beer into the glass.

Will it ever "finish" inside the bottle, or am I fooling myself?

Latest posts

Back