Leaky Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdx

Reaction score
I am brand new to kegging and just bought a kegging set up from keg connection. Today I went to pressure test my system, since the temperature regulator is soon to arrive and I want everything to be ready for that first taste of draft beer.

I have the 3 gauge regulator with 3 kegs. So 1 keg runs straight off one the regulators and the other two run off a manifold. I hooked up a keg to the side without the manifold, brushed soapy water all over the place and everything seemed fine. I went to lube up the seals to the other kegs when I started to hear a hissing sound. Soaped the regulator and a MFL connector was leaking. I tightened that down, turned the pressure back up and I still hear the hissing but there are no bubbles anymore from soaping it. After about ten minutes of soaping up the entire regulator, I still can't get it to show me where it's leaking. (I turned off the valve to the keg by this point so no gas is going over there, it has to be the regulator.) If I turn the pressure all the way down on one of the regulators the hissing stops while the other has pressure. So I figure it has to be that one. I can put my finger over an area where the gauge mounts and can get the sound to change but not stop. I also can't feel any gas leaking.

Can I tighten the gauge down farther? And if so, is it guaranteed that I'll be able to make the gauge face front again? Or is this sound something that just happens and there is no gas leaking? I really don't want to burn through an entire CO2 tank to learn that lesson.

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you hear a leak and not CO2 flowing through the tubing? If it slows down or stops after a minute you don't have a leak.

The gauge is probably tight. Try tightening it but if you're worried you'll break the regulator you are plenty tight. What kind of regulators did you get? Look for a small hole in the housing. This is a leak port. If the diaphragm inside is bad you will feel a leak here.

I don't leave my kegs on air. I charge them to 30 psi when I am first carbing them up and then hit them with 12 psi a couple of times before I serve them. When serving I open the tank. As long as things don't get out of hand, I close the tank at the end of the night.

It's a brand new taprite regulator. Like this one.
images

I'm pretty positive that it's not CO2 in the flowing through the hose. Like I said I shut off the valves to the lines. That and as long as the regulator has pressure, it hisses. I could hear the keg fill in under a minute at 12 psi. This is very constant.

On the back of the regulator, I see a bunch of holes. I covered them in soap and there was no bubbling nor can I feel CO2. Are those holes the leak port? Forgive me, I'm new at this.

The holes on the back are the vents for the safety valve. Is the a washer in between the tank and regulator? If you shut off the the lines out to kegs, set your regulator at less then 10 psi srpay all connections with Star-san or dishsoap and water and look for bubbles.

Upon closer inspection, I could feel a very slight amount of CO2 leaking from the vents in the back. Since there are so many ways for the gas to escape back there it wasn't generating bubbles. I called keg connection and they are sending me a new one with a return shipping label and everything. +1 to kegconnection customer support.

Thanks for your help. I probably wouldn't have found the leak otherwise.

Back