Beer cabbage soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Made this last wk-end, it turned out quite good.

1 quart of beef broth
1 bottle of dark beer (I used an English mild)
1 head of cabbage, bottom removed, cut into strips
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into slices
1 onion, quartered and cut into slices
1/2 tsp paprika
Beef bouillon cubes
salt and pepper to taste.

Put all ingredients into a stock pot, add just enough water so that you can see liquid (NOT above the ingredients), add one bouillon cube for each pint of water you add.

Bring to a boil, simmer for 60 minutes.

The taste of the beer was surprisingly obvious but not over the top.

Next time, I plan on adding some fire roasted tomatoes, should be nice!

MC

I've used a cider for it before. Smelled quite strongly when making the soup but little taste made it through.

Made another batch this past wk-end. same recipe but added 2 cans of "fire roasted tomatoes". It's quite tomato-y and the beer/malt flavor is mostly lost. Next time I'll try just one can of the tomatoes. Still very tasty and a bit spicy.

I've had the "pseudo-flu" this week and this soup has helped me feel better every night after work + walking the dogs.

MC

This soup is also good with smoked neck bones. We used to make this when we were young newlyweds. We both grew up on this central/eastern europian stuff.

Making this tonight but added some ham and cooking up some perogies to go with it.

Back