MA apple juice providers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrookston

Reaction score
I live in Boston and I've been getting my juice from these guys: http://www.carlsonorchards.com/

I haven't had a lot of success despite my best efforts, so in the tradition of lazy bastards everywhere I'm blaming my juice source rather than my own process :cross:

Has anyone had experience with these guys? Does anyone know of a good apple juice provider in MA (or the general northeast) that makes juice primarily from bittersweet or even bittersharp apples?

If this thread is successful, maybe we should make another "List your favorite regional providers" thread to be used as a future reference.

I'm buying raw pressed cider. Carlson Orchards is fine, the juice is delicious for drinking straight, but it doesn't make the best cider ever. I just spoke to them on the phone and they specifically said that they don't provide (and have no intention of providing) any cider made from specific varieties of apples.

there are a bunch of orchards in CT that send their apples to carlson to be pressed. apparently cheaper to do that than buying equipment that's up to the health standards

I just started my second batch using unpasteurized cider from Lull Farm in Hollis, NH (right over the border). I grew up around there, the cider is awesome. I've heard rumors that it's illegal to get unpasteurized cider in MA, but who knows. If you call ahead, they'll fill your carboy right from their press and give you a discount. Right now he has an excess of cider since he pressed too much last weekend, and he told me he has to toss it soon so he'll happily sell it to any homebrewers for a great price. I measured a 1.054 SG.

I just started my second batch using unpasteurized cider from Lull Farm in Hollis, NH (right over the border). I grew up around there, the cider is awesome. I've heard rumors that it's illegal to get unpasteurized cider in MA, but who knows. If you call ahead, they'll fill your carboy right from their press and give you a discount. Right now he has an excess of cider since he pressed too much last weekend, and he told me he has to toss it soon so he'll happily sell it to any homebrewers for a great price. I measured a 1.054 SG.

Interesting. I'm in the area. Is there someone specific I should ask for?

You can get unpasteurized cider in MA. You'll only see it around the picking season tho. I've even seen unpasteurized Carlson juice up in Hollis when I was looking around. I live the next town over from Carlson and I've used juice from their store and the cider turns out great. My LHBS use to get their fruit from Sholan and get it pressed at Carlson. That orchard has some old varieties. You may want to call them to see if you can get the apples and press them yourself.

EDIT: I'd also look at popular cider producers like Farnum Hills. You go to their site and they have an orchard where you can buy cider variety apples. Lebanon, NH is a little haul from Somerville.

A bit farther away, but we have AWESOME cider here in SE CT. Its a bit of a hike for you guys though. Holmberg Orchards in Gales Ferry CT (just 3 min from Mohegan Sun). My first batch is increadibly aromatic coming off the gross lees this week.

Interesting. I'm in the area. Is there someone specific I should ask for?

Dave is the owner. He's a funny guy, he became somewhat of a local celebrity a few years back when he was caught growing pot on his back porch. It ended up being tossed because it was an illegal search, but tons of people put bumper stickers on their car to support him. If you've never been to Hollis, it's a fairly yuppie area, but there are a few farms that put out some awesome stuff. A lot of his stuff is pricey because people there are willing to pay for it, but it's really good. If you have a family have them go with you, there are some farm animals in the back they can pet, there's apple/pumpkin picking, etc.

Anyway, if you want to get in on the cheap stuff I'd call today or tomorrow and ask him what's left. Otherwise like I said, if you give him advance notice he'll fill your carboy right off the press. He normally sells it in jugs for $7/gallon, right off the press is $5/gallon, and the leftover stuff from last weekend might be cheaper. He says lots of people just let it ferment naturally and they've had great results, I know I've had that happen right in my fridge and it was pretty tasty.

TheDudeLebowski:
I grew up in Nashua NH, but I've spent the last few years around Boston. Lived in Somerville for 3 years but just moved to Waltham this summer to be closer to work. I miss Somerville, especially Ball Square Fine Wines. You ever go there? Awesome beer/cider/wine selection, they have tastings all the time and their beer manager Nate is super helpful.

Dave is the owner. He's a funny guy, he became somewhat of a local celebrity a few years back when he was caught growing pot on his back porch. It ended up being tossed because it was an illegal search, but tons of people put bumper stickers on their car to support him. If you've never been to Hollis, it's a fairly yuppie area, but there are a few farms that put out some awesome stuff. A lot of his stuff is pricey because people there are willing to pay for it, but it's really good. If you have a family have them go with you, there are some farm animals in the back they can pet, there's apple/pumpkin picking, etc.

Anyway, if you want to get in on the cheap stuff I'd call today or tomorrow and ask him what's left. Otherwise like I said, if you give him advance notice he'll fill your carboy right off the press. He normally sells it in jugs for $7/gallon, right off the press is $5/gallon, and the leftover stuff from last weekend might be cheaper. He says lots of people just let it ferment naturally and they've had great results, I know I've had that happen right in my fridge and it was pretty tasty.

TheDudeLebowski:
I grew up in Nashua NH, but I've spent the last few years around Boston. Lived in Somerville for 3 years but just moved to Waltham this summer to be closer to work. I miss Somerville, especially Ball Square Fine Wines. You ever go there? Awesome beer/cider/wine selection, they have tastings all the time and their beer manager Nate is super helpful.

Very cool, will do. I'm finishing up my first batch of cider from stuff I bought at Mack's Apples, but it wasn't pressed locally or using their own apples. Definitely going to try some from Lull Farm.

I am using the same cider and the cider seems to be coming out fine. What are you using for a recipe?

As an update, I called Lull Farm and asked about the excess press and what zachattack said was right on the money! Went over and picked up 10 gallons of it (for $5/gal). Tastes great and is already in the fermenter!

Did you measure the same SG as I did? I didn't verify across multiple jugs, hopefully it's consistent. How are you fermenting it? I boosted OG a bit with white sugar and I've got 6 gallons sitting in the basement with Nottingham. I have one extra gallon that I'm gonna ferment naturally as a quick experiment.

Did you measure the same SG as I did? I didn't verify across multiple jugs, hopefully it's consistent. How are you fermenting it? I boosted OG a bit with white sugar and I've got 6 gallons sitting in the basement with Nottingham. I have one extra gallon that I'm gonna ferment naturally as a quick experiment.

Nope, forgot to get the OG, but I've got another batch I'm starting tonight I can check. My first batch (using cider from Mack's) was just 5 gallons of cider and a yeast I got from a coworker (Siha Varioferm) that he's had great luck with so far. I just kegged it and it's really tasty after only a month or so. Very light and drinkable. It's a little cloudy, but I didn't cold crash either.

The yeast I'm using: http://www.begerow.com/?plink=b7e0d41eb73c33f7452875ecc1042c19c48c858f

TheDudeLebowski:

I mostly head into cambridge or boston these days. I use to live in between Winter Hill/Sulli/Union in Somerville. That was about 20 years ago and things have changed. I have heard good things about Ball Sq Fine Wines. I'll have to hit it up the next time I'm in the area. I ,also, use to live in Nashua. Waltham's not bad. Plenty of things to do in that town plus you're close to the city.

Well this thread's awesome. Tu13es, after the cider's aged out we should arrange a swap! It would be awesome to taste the differences considering we both started with the same cider but had pretty different methods.

I was actually just about to start a thread about this topic. What I'd love to do is find an orchard who would press me different varieties of cider instead of their usual mix. I'd love to be able to play around with varieties in different quantities.

I mentioned this in a PM w/ Tu13es, but Lull Farm in Nashua has their regular cider in gallon jugs with a red cap, then they offer special blends in half gallons with a yellow cap. I forget if they did single varieties or what, it's been a few years since I've tried it. But I remember the yellow-capped bottles always cost more and tasted great.

I've never done it but Yooper has a thread on creating your own juice without a press. She just freezes them and then smashes them in a strain bag. She likes the results.

I mentioned this in a PM w/ Tu13es, but Lull Farm in Nashua has their regular cider in gallon jugs with a red cap, then they offer special blends in half gallons with a yellow cap. I forget if they did single varieties or what, it's been a few years since I've tried it. But I remember the yellow-capped bottles always cost more and tasted great.

Yeah, it was $4 the yellow cap half gallons. The ones I saw yesterday were Honey Crisp + (some other variety I can't remember). I should've picked up a few for a mini batch. Oh well.

I got my cider last year from Honey Pot Hill Orchards in Stow and that turned out just fine.

This year, because they were open today and I wanted to go today, I got it from Carlson's, which was a lot more involved -- unlike Honey Pot they made me sign a affidavit that I intended to ferment it and required that I bring a carboy. But it was only $25, versus around $35 for five one-gallon jugs at Honey Pot last year. However because of the lateness of the season, the cider they offered had already started to ferment, so I went with the yeast currently fermenting rather than using my own cultivated yeast.

Hmmm. Interesting. I use to get mine from NFG homebrew which got it from the local park service that harvested them off an old orchard. But they don't do that anymore.

I've used Carlson the last two years and the last time the cashier looked surprised as I walked out with 5 gallons of cider. I told her hard cider and she laughed that she had never heard of people doing that. She then offered some local cheese that was really good. I'd recommend them. I've also bought from places up on the NH border.

Close by to me and hardly a crowd.

Yeah, there is a place that is called Gould Hill Farms in southern NH (Hopkinton) that sells raw cider without preservatives.

In CT it seems all the sources dry up between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Still looking for the right blend of apples.

In CT it seems all the sources dry up between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Still looking for the right blend of apples.

Try Holmbergs over near Norwich. Always been my favorite orchard and they seem to hold back some of their cider for sale over the winters. They have a website.

Lyman Orchard has it in 1 gallon jugs all year, but kinda pricey at $7 per gallon. Gotta's I think is done for the year.

I figure that an orchard that's selling bottled cider is going to use a mix of apples so that it's sweet for general drinking. I've heard that there are some places that will cater to the hard cider crowd and press the bitter sweet stuff that nobody else would want, but I don't know of any around here.

Last batch from Gotta's was Macs, Macoun, Grannies and whatever else was being picked in November. Good stuff.

Lyman Orchard has it in 1 gallon jugs all year, but kinda pricey at $7 per gallon. Gotta's I think is done for the year..

Last batch from Gotta's was Macs, Macoun, Grannies and whatever else was being picked in November. Good stuff.

Damn. That's where I usually go but waited too late this year. I pressed some last week - Honey crisp, Macoun, Pink Lady & Cortlands.

The place in Shelton does a press just for hard cider but it's only one weekend and I always miss it.

I got about 15 gallons this season from Carlson's. Each time I bought a batch of 5 gallons, I got a funny look until I said that I was going to ferment it into hard cider, then they said they would love to try it when it was done.
I bought cases of 4-1 gallon that were pasteurized.

I live in an apple growing area and can get local cider from a variety of sources. The hard cider I was making was OK, I've been looking for something more.
So I put together an apple grinding/pressing setup and make about 40 gallons a year using 12-15 or more different varieties of apples in different combinations. Every year I widen my area to hunt for good cider apples (at a good price) and have come to the conclusion that I need to plant some cider apple trees to make the cider I want.
When you find the best local cider and ferment it into something good you'll eventually be tempted to taste commercial ciders that have a good reputation and then you'll want to make cider like those.
Lucky for me I have enough land to do this, maybe not the free time, but I'll do what I can manage. I like having hobbies that give me things to do and to look forward to.
Grape and Apple growing, other fruits in the summer Beer brewing when I have time, all lead to a full and happy life, never boring. Happy Holidays to all! :mug:

Cider Hill in Amesbury will sell you bulk juice if you contact them before hand. $5.50 a gallon. Modern Homebrew Emporium does cider buys all year each month and gets their juice from an orchard in Stowe. $30 for 5 gallon bucket. Call the shop to ask.

Madscientist , I planted 20 cider apple trees this spring and can offer some insight if you wish. I plan to do the same this coming spring. It involves a road trip to Fedco in Maine the first weekend in May. PM me,

Madscientist said: I like having hobbies that give me things to do and to look forward to.
Grape and Apple growing, other fruits in the summer Beer brewing when I have time, all lead to a full and happy life, never boring. Happy Holidays to all! :mug:

Well put sir! I have a similar philosophy and wish more folks did. Though, I suspect the homebrew crowd is a bit like "preaching to the choir". Lol

Back