Visual Reference Charts for Beer Styles and Yeast - Part II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oktober

Reaction score
(This is a continuation of the original post with updated links - HBT won't let me revise the original).

Hey All,

I’m not exactly sure what got me started on this, but I’ve been leisurely building a series of charts displaying the BCJP beer styles and their parameters. Maybe I’m just a visual learner, but by seeing everything laid out in such a way, I appreciated some of the styles a bit better.

After a little prodding from my brother, I decided to post the charts out there for anyone to look at or reference. As such, I wanted to post some links to them here in the hopes that I can get some feedback on them. Anyone find them useful? Is there anything detracting? Anyway to make them better or improve the charts?

BJCP Beer Style Visual Reference Charts:

1. SRM Color Ranges by Style
  2. IBU Bitterness Ranges by Style
  3. OG and FG Ranges by Style
  4. Alcohol by Volume Ranges by Style
  5. "Apparent" Bitterness (IBU/OG) Ranges by Style

After I finished the BJCP Style Charts, I felt the urge to keep at it, so I built visual charts for commercial yeast strains (both White Labs and Wyeast). This visual displays how each of the strains perform relative to another, which can help when selecting between a few different strains.

White Labs Yeast Visual Reference Charts:

Wyeast Labs Yeast Visual Reference Charts:

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or feedback on this pet project of mine. You can either leave comments here, or preferentially on the pages linked above (as it’s a lot easier for me to keep the feedback sorted that way). Additionally, assuming I keep at this, are there any other ‘visual chart’ topics I might be able to tackle?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Slainte!

:mug:

-Okt

Your optimal temperature ranges for Belgian Ardennes is way wrong, holy crap 85F.

The brewer @ Achouffe told me over 78F the yeast start dying, never mind the headaches from such high temps.

Wyeast:
Temperature Range: 65-76° F (18-24° C)

WhiteLabs:
Temperature: 68-78°F

Houblon,

Thank you for the feedback - I appreciate it. Originally I pulled the numbers from the Wyeast website, but I have noticed a few of the entries have changed over the months. So one of the challenges with this project has been having a slightly moving target.

As for the Ardennes error, it looks like that was a transposition error on my part. I will try to get back into the chart soon and make the correction.

Best Regards,

-Okt

Great charts! Linked 'em on my site. I was about to make a lot of these charts myself and found that you'd already done them. These will be printed up and pinned in my brewhouse (aka basement).

Great charts! Linked 'em on my site. I was about to make a lot of these charts myself and found that you'd already done them. These will be printed up and pinned in my brewhouse (aka basement).

Thanks Hop! Let me know your URL's website when you get the chance.

Slainte!

-Okt

Cool. One thought and one request:
Thought: It would be neat if the bar on the SRM chart for each style, matched the section of the gradient as the reference gradient. Not a solid color, a snippet of the gradient above.
Request: How about Volumes of CO2 by style?

I know I'm a bit late on this, the charts are awesome, but do you have all of this data in a spreadsheet form? I'm a numbers guy...

Thanks Hop! Great spreadsheet - exactly the type of thing i'm looking for. I'm trying to pull together a lot of data to make a Brew Spreadsheet that will do a lot of things similar to regular beer software, but also allow for a lot more customization. It should also be a good tool for learning how different metrics/ratios are calculated. I can post it when its done.

Outstanding! Exactly what I was looking for - the substitution chart and these alcohol tolerance charts are just what the doctor ordered.

I'm fixin' to try brewing my first Belgian tripel, and I don't want my yeast to stall out, but I like the esters from yeasts I have used before for the style. I just want to bump it up a bit. This is a great help! Thanks!

Back