Compact Refrigerator for Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could recommend a compact refrigerator that will fit an Ale Pale or 6 gallon carboy without much modification. I see many on the Home Depot website but I would rather not walk in there with my Ale Pale to check for proper fit.

I'm looking for the same thing! Seems most of them have some space limitations on the bottom shelf, ie, ability to fit the carboy or bucket. And then if you raise it to accommodate the "indention" from the compressor then you run out of height in some of them, allowing for the airlock.
I live miles and miles from a store that would carry one so taking my stuff in is really difficult. Online research doesn't give much info about that bottom shelf.
But I found what looks like it would work....Avanti SP2501B, no compressor and therefore no bottom problem. Online chat says it has a 15x13 bottom!
I'm going to need that here in Louisana soon....
I

Probaably too short for a kegerator but should work for a fermenter I believe. Sales on these things come and go constantly online but I haven't yet found a regular retailer.

I have two wine fridges. Bought one (Magic Chef) on clearance at Home Depot for $100. I bought the other (Sunbeam) on CraigsList for $50. I think they are each designed to hold about 20-25 wine bottles.

Each one fits a carboy, an Ale Pail, or two cornies.

I have a GE 5 cu. ft. freezer that I use for fermentation and for storing corny's. (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053).
Easily fits a 6.5 gallon carboy and can fit 2 corny's without any mods. If you add an 6-8" extension to the top of it it will easily hold 3 corny's and a CO2 tank and will allow you to install keg taps if desired.
In my opinion this is the most bang for your buck if you're looking for fermentation temperature control and the ability to store kegs. Of course you need to invest in a temp controller, but for $79 its well worth the price of being able to dial in your fermentation temps to whatever you want.
I've got a bock fermenting away in mine right now at a solid 48-49 degrees:)

Back