Racked trub into secondary. BIG problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugustDerleth

Reaction score
So, being thoughtless, I stirred my raspberry mead shortly before racking and what I noticed is that I can see the trub laying on the bottom of the fermenter. I contemplated racking it into an empty fermenter of the same size that I have laying around, but wasn't sure if this would do more harm than good? I've heard that autolysis is understood to be less of an issue now, but I'm just curious as to whether this is a majour problem or if I will be okay just racking the mead off the trub in 30 days during next rack. Thanks for any input! :fro:

Yes, you're in trouble and no, you're not in trouble. Yes, trub will cause an off flavor if it is left in contact with the beer/mead for too long as it oxidizes. No, the best place for it when it is in contact with your beer/mead is under the beer/mead.

Yes, you're in trouble and no, you're not in trouble. Yes, trub will cause an off flavor if it is left in contact with the beer/mead for too long as it oxidizes. No, the best place for it when it is in contact with your beer/mead is under the beer/mead.

So....I should rack it off of the trub now in order to avoid off-flavourings? Or would this do more harm moving it two days after moving from primary to secondary? Thanks.

How long are you going to secondary? I have not made mead before. In the very few beers I have ever used a secondary (IE the first 2 beers I made before I found out it was not required, and IIPAs and barleywines), I did not stir as it kind of defeats the purpose.

If you are going longer than 3 weeks I would probably re-rack in a few days to get it off the trub. Thats just me though, your mead should be ok with just leaving it there for a long time.

How long are you going to secondary? I have not made mead before. In the very few beers I have ever used a secondary (IE the first 2 beers I made before I found out it was not required, and IIPAs and barleywines), I did not stir as it kind of defeats the purpose.

If you are going longer than 3 weeks I would probably re-rack in a few days to get it off the trub. Thats just me though, your mead should be ok with just leaving it there for a long time.

Yeah, it was going to be re-racked in 30 days. It sounds like it might be best to rack it off the trub today, I'll already have my auto-siphon all sterilized and ready to go for racking something else so I'll just re-rack that raspberry. Thanks for the input!

Back