My first partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver95

Reaction score
I did my fourth batch, my first partail mash, and first yeast starter. I brewed an American Red Ale. I used WLP051 it has a different smell(not bad) just a different smell to me, the starter had a krusen on it the next morning and I pitched about 36hours after I made the stater. I had 3 lbs of American 2 row and 2 lbs of different grains. I brought 6.5 quarts of strike water to 165 degrees, I added the grains and it did not come down to 153 after 5 minutes I started added water and ice which finally brought the temp down. all the grains were in a grain bag, after an hour I moved the grains to my boil pot with 3 gals of water at 165 let set for 10 minutes and poured water over the grains after removing the grains I added 5lbs of LME and wort, took a starting gravity and it was a couple points higher than beersmith said it would be. I assume that is better efficiency. The brewing after that went very smoothly. Cooled the wort and pitched my starter. within about 4 or 5 hours I had activity. I am looking forward to setting up all grain brewing.

For bottles, some homebrewers keep their bottles under the bed. Others use file cabinets.

For fermenters, some find they will fit under furniture or in a hidden corner of the house or bathtub.

I have the spare bath, I am glad the wife puts up with it. She does get to partake in the fruits...
So anyone elses dog like to eat out of the compost? I am pretty sure she ate all five pounds of grain out of the compost, but I didnt know untill I took her for a walk.

Back