Wort chiller boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question, but is there any reason I can't submerge my copper wort chiller right from the get-go for the whole 60 min boil? In the past I've always submerged it at the 30 min mark. However, I installed a new filter for my kettle and I have to carefully submerge the chiller so I don't break the filter and it's just easier for me to do it before I add the wort. Many Thanks!

Joe

You'll proabably end up with some extra copper in your wort, but other than that it shouldn't hurt anything. Some breweries use copper pots, so a copoper wort chiller shouldn't do any harm. I'm not sure how your hoses will hold up doing this, but if you've already been boiling it for 30 minutes, I guess they can take it.

Thanks! I can't imagine the copper leeches that much influence on the beer and the hoses are well out of the way of the wort so there's no real concern there.

According to John Palmer, copper actually helps with fermentation. Some brewery's that use stainless kettles, add a piece of copper into the boil to add copper to the wort. Hope that helps!

Back