Good carbination, no head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain

Reaction score
I enjoyed my first home-brew last night... a Wheaten Ale. I rushed it a little, but hey, it's my first one. :D
So I brew and ferment, and withing two days the SG is down to very near final FG, so I keep an eye on it and within the first week, it has reached a steady FG.
At two weeks, I bottle with the addition of 3/4 cup corn sugar (disolved in boiling water and allowed to cool, 5gal. batch, carefully mixed with no air) and rack to my bottles.
Another two weeks at 70F-80F conditioning, then chilled.
Popped a few last night, and poured with a small head, which imediately disapated.
Tasted good, with a nice fiz, but no head.
Did I rush and that's why, or is it normal for this style?
Are there additives for a better head?
The taste is pretty mild, and I feel it would have a better aroma and more taste with a nice head.

Time, time, time
See what's become of me
While I look around,
All my possibilities
I was so hard to please...
~Paul Simon

First check your glassware. If there is any soap residue or the glass is not crystal clean it can break down the head pretty quickly.

Clean a few glasses with some oxy , PBW or vinegar water solution and rinse really well and try another pour.

When I first started I was making the mistake of going by the 3/4 cup measurement on the priming sugar. It resulted in little to no head on the beer until I started going by weight. You want 5 0z if you have a scale that can measure that. The 3/4 cup measurement is based on getting 5 oz of weight. Of course depending on if you packed the sugar or left it loose your weight will vary.

I just had a similar problem with two different batches of stouts. Good carbonation, but absolutely NO head. I scrubbed my glassware with salt, and presto! Head on my beer! So...suspect your glassware, especially if it has been washed in a dishwasher.

glenn514:mug:

You might post your recipe and mash steps too. Both can have a big impact on head retention.

I usually include a little cara-pils in my recipes just to make sure I get good head. :p

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry, I'm away from my recipe. I'll post that when I get home later.
Bottles were cleaned using a bottle brush mounted on a drill, and using automatic dish washing soap, then rinsed, then sanitized with iodorphor rinsed again, and dried on a rack.
It would make sense though.
Next batch will be keged and force carbed.
Cera-pils, eh? Looks interesting. I may try that on the next one. Could be what I'm looking for.

glenn is talking about the glass you pour your beer into (although I wouldn't use dish soap on the bottles either). It can leave a residue that kills the head. Scrub a glass with salt and rinse, then try pouring another of your beers.

This is a wheat beer, right? Shouldn't need carapils. I'm still betting glassware.

Yeah, wheat beer. I was thinking maybe on another style of brew the Cara-Pils looks interesting.

Back