Shandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a cocktail, there are no rules.

Brew a beer low in hop, malt, and yeast character. Mix you're preferred portion of citrus drink, ginger drink, whatever you choose. Keg together and enjoy.

I think bottling would be tough because of preservatives in the mix & and the yeast would consume the available sugars and change the profile of the shandy. Killing the yeast and force carbing would be about it.

When I was at the Deschutes brewpub in Portland last summer, they had something called a radler on tap. I think that it's a summer drink in northern Europe of lager and European lemonade.

I don't know how they mixed the two - whether at the bar or in the keg. Might be worth an e-mail to Deschutes. From what I've heard, they're pretty good about answering questions.

Beer + lemonade = shandy

Or is there some secret shandy that us Europeans don't know about?

When I was at the Deschutes brewpub in Portland last summer, they had something called a radler on tap. I think that it's a summer drink in northern Europe of lager and European lemonade.

I don't know how they mixed the two - whether at the bar or in the keg. Might be worth an e-mail to Deschutes. From what I've heard, they're pretty good about answering questions.

Thats on the menu in various pubs here. Its basically half beer (whatever is on tap) + half 7up. Mixed by topping draft beer up with lemonade, nothing fancy.

I bought some last summer that was bottled, personally didn't like it one bit but that's the beauty of homebrewing, make whatever you like.

Lienenkugel makes a summer shandy in a bottle. Shock top just came out with one bottled as well. I have a recipe for one in my recipes. Easy to make & bottles great. I use Trulemon crystalized lemon juice with no preservatives that hinder carbonation or head. They have Trulime & Truorange as well. Very natural juice flavor. We love it. Even my son enjoyed it last Thanksgiving,saying it was damn close to Lienenkugel's. I just bottled a 5.5G batch of it yesterday. Waiting for the end of April for it to be ready.
Try my recipe if you enjoy this sort of brew. Great with grilled seafood in summer.

Point of fact: "lemonade" means different things in different parts of the world. In shandy, it's normally a carbonated, sweetened lemon beverage, right?

When we make shandy at our house, we get pretty fancy on the lemon soda side of things (I'm drawing a blank on the brand name right now), but the beer normally ends up being some unremarkable imported pilsner.

It was originally made by a German brewer about 10 miles outside Munich when his light beer stash was running low. But he had a lot of this lemon soda that's supposed to be popular in Germany,so he mixed them. My recipe is close to Lienenkugel's with a slight unique twist. I'll leave it at that.

Yes I forgot most people here are from the USA. Here is what I used to do:

Get hold of some sort of lager and fill a pint glass half way.

Get some sort of citrus carbonated beverage and fill the glass to the top.

Drink and enjoy :)

Notes:

I found that beers that were slightly hoppier in flavour worked best when mixed with the acidic flavour of the soda.

Grapefruit flavoured soda works very well, lemon works very well, lime works great (which is also another classic English beer mixer called, you guessed it, lager and lime). I tried other flavours but did not like the results.

Make sure you use a decent quality soda as the cheaper ones do not have enough flavour so they will just water down your beer without adding much. With these you could try 4:1 beer to soda but I never was really happy with the result.

Anyway, I don't drink much shandy anymore as soft drinks cost almost twice the price of a beer here and the alcohol free beer is pretty good when the occasion calls for it

unionrdr said:
It was originally made by a German brewer about 10 miles outside Munich when his light beer stash was running low. But he had a lot of this lemon soda that's supposed to be popular in Germany,so he mixed them. My recipe is close to Lienenkugel's with a slight unique twist. I'll leave it at that.

Where is your recipe at? Would you mind sharing it?

Look under my avatar for "recipes" & click on it. Or go to my profile,about half way down the page & my recipes are listed there as links to the recipe forum at the top of the forum page. Enjoy...:mug:

Back