Starter Rookie...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaver

Reaction score
So how long before you remember not to dump the stir bar from your starter into your brew!?!?! DOH... i even remembered it was there, set the starter down... was sanitizing everything and then started dumping... and PLOP... there goes the stir bar!

Reaver said:
So how long before you remember not to dump the stir bar from your starter into your brew!?!?! DOH... i even remembered it was there, set the starter down... was sanitizing everything and then started dumping... and PLOP... there goes the stir bar!

Use a magnet to hold it on the glass before pouring. We do that in the lab at my office.

Yep, I use a magnet to take it out before I pour the yeast into the wort. I have a backup just in case I forget to remove it

Oh I was smart enough to have a 2nd bar on hand for this occurance. I had even tested the magnetism of a couple spoons so I could dip in a sanitized spoon and remove the bar... I just need to remember to do it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't do what I did, I poured the stir bar in the fermenter and thought, ehh, I'll get it out when I keg this batch. Well I forgot about it, kegged the batch and cleaned the fermenter in the kitchen sink, I remembered the stir bar about the time my son turned on the garbage disposal. It didn't fair to well. :eek:

I've got a sticky note on the Carboy. I may snag one of my strong magnets and see if I can walk it up the side while it's still fermenting.

Back