2 of 4 first year hops are up. should i worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyBrewToo

Reaction score
I planted all 4 hop rhizomes exactly 3 weeks ago and fuggles and cascades are up but goldings and libertys are still hiding. Should i worry or are my fuggles and cascades just over achievers? cascade already has 3 bines and fuggles just 1. I was wondering if golding and liberty are of the slacker variety that take longer to come up? Thank you in advance for any help.

+1

I've got three different varieties and they all emerge at different times. And, yes, cascades came up first.

not sure, but you could dig them up and check. The ones I've planted that came up usually do it within a week or two. At three weeks I'd be digging to make sure I didn't plant them the wrong direction and/or too deep. But my soil is already very warm whereas yours may still just be a little cold for those varieties..

not sure, but you could dig them up and check. The ones I've planted that came up usually do it within a week or two. At three weeks I'd be digging to make sure I didn't plant them the wrong direction and/or too deep. But my soil is already very warm whereas yours may still just be a little cold for those varieties..

I'll be planting my hops next weekend.. (that's the plan anyways).. definitely by the following weekend..

How deep do I plant them, and how do I know what 'direction' they go?

Planting cascade, willamette, magnum, and centennial

r8rphan said:
I'll be planting my hops next weekend.. (that's the plan anyways).. definitely by the following weekend..

Planting cascade, willamette, magnum, and centennial

Plant them 2-3" beneath the surface of the soil. They will grow towards the sun, doesn't really matter how you plant them. I planted them lying parallel to the ground.

If you plant them vertically (buds pointing upwards) they'll be easier to contain in the long run. Horizontally will encourage them to spread. When planting you should have an inch or two of soil covering the buds.

I had 3 that I planted a week ago, they didn't come up yet - I wasn't worried, but I wanted to double check them. The Columbus I had planted waaaaay too deep, I kept digging and digging before I finally found it about 6-8 inches down. It was my healthiest rhizome (had probably a dozen shoots on it), so I dug it back up and re-set it about an inch from the surface. Even still, the shoots had grown a couple inches toward the surface. I started to check on the magnum but only got about an inch down when I found a shoot with a green top. That'll break the surface in the next couple days. The third one (Mt. Hood) was a little deep also, moved it up to an inch or so from the surace.

I expect all three will break the surface by the end of the week. Planning to get a trellace setup later this week.

Back