Is 5" of Trub something to be concerned about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longshota8

Reaction score
I brewed a Double IPA today that called for the used of about 11oz of hops. I have about 9oz in the brew at this point with another 2oz set aside to dry hop with. About 4 hours after brewing I still have a solid 5 inches of residue in the bottom of the carboy. Should I expect to set this settle a great deal? Never use this many hops before. There was so much residue in the wort I couldn't even take an accurate gravity reading. Looking for some advice or reassurance.

I have NEVER used that much hops. Wow. But about the hydrometer reading, if there are hop floaties in the wort it does not alter the reading from what it should be.

EDIT: Lumpher beat me to the punch. The hop oils are part of the wort now, so just roll with it.

I was using the Godfather Double IPA recipe from the book Extreme Brewing. My OG was 1.080, which is way off from the target gravity. Is there anything I can do to alter the starting gravity at this point? I've already pitched the yeast. I'm a little worried since the potential alcohol level is at 10.8% and the recipe stated between 7.5 and 8.5. Any idea what I could have done wrong?

I was using the Godfather Double IPA recipe from the book Extreme Brewing. My OG was 1.080, which is way off from the target gravity. Is there anything I can do to alter the starting gravity at this point? I've already pitched the yeast. I'm a little worried since the potential alcohol level is at 10.8% and the recipe stated between 7.5 and 8.5. Any idea what I could have done wrong?

If it finishes around 1.020, you'll be right in line with the 7.5-8.5% range. I would just relax.

By the way, did you use whole hops? I brewed an IIPA with 12oz of Cascade whole leaf hops in the kettle. Thank God I used a hop bag!

I used pellet. Would putting them in a bag next time make any difference? I am afraid I am going to lose a lot beer to all this sediment.

Latest posts

Back