Keggle bottom outlet location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Hi all, I need sugestions as to where to put my outlet on my keggle. I have already cut the top off and am going electric so will be installing the element as low as possible. I have seen 1 picture of a keggle with the drain located in the bottom. I liked this idea as there is no need for a dip tube, only issue is getting it out from under the bottom skirt but I'll work around that. Now where would be the best location: as close to the wall as possible, the centre or half way between the wall and centre?
Also is there a benifit for going with a 3/4" over a 1/2" fitting, my thoughts are if/when I get a pump the 3/4" might help with any priming/cavatating issues that others experience with their pumps.
Cheers:mug:

Bobbys website states it should be 5/8” higher than the bottom of the vessel or any curvature in the sidewall.

If you look at his site and youtube channel. You will learn alot from him.

I have set up both my BK and MT/LT as bottom dump keggles, but I cut the bottom out of them, took all the guts out, and attached a 2"x1/2" triclover to NPT fitting. The clover fits perfectly to the sanke fitting's lip. If you already cut the top off, you won't be able to go that route, but you could look around to trade your cut keg for a whole one.

If you don't want to go with the tri-clover you have some options. Placing the drain in the center will allow you to drain the most liquid, especially if you solder or weld the fitting in flush with the bottom of the keg. Putting it off center will leave some wort in it, but will allow you to whirlpool. If you do go with the center drain I would recommend installing a false bottom to strain the wort (if you use pellet hops you'll need something even finer, like a hop blocker).

I have set up both my BK and MT/LT as bottom dump keggles, but I cut the bottom out of them, took all the guts out, and attached a 2"x1/2" triclover to NPT fitting. The clover fits perfectly to the sanke fitting's lip. If you already cut the top off, you won't be able to go that route, but you could look around to trade your cut keg for a whole one.

If you don't want to go with the tri-clover you have some options. Placing the drain in the center will allow you to drain the most liquid, especially if you solder or weld the fitting in flush with the bottom of the keg. Putting it off center will leave some wort in it, but will allow you to whirlpool. If you do go with the center drain I would recommend installing a false bottom to strain the wort (if you use pellet hops you'll need something even finer, like a hop blocker).

Thanks Trigger, Yeah I might go that route with the triclover for a MLT. Do you know if the element would mess up the whirlpool at all, I am leaning to putting it closer to the side, I don't mind leaving a little wort in there if it means I don't suck up all the trub aswell!

Back