Can I dry my captured yeast for long term storage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
I think so, similar to this method for sourdough starter: http://yumarama.com/blog/2624/drying-your-starter/#more-2624

Would it be more stable than any of the liquid storage methods? I believe it would if drying is successfull, it may be simpler too.

The problem would be isolating it during the drying process from other unwanted strains of yeast/bacterium as you know they are everywhere.

My simple procedure would be:

1. Streak or "paint" a sample of the desired liquid yeast onto the inside of a sanitized ziplock baggie.

2. Close the zip almost completely while squeezing out the air leaving a very slight opening for moisture to escape.

3. Place it in an enclosed slightly heated (below 80F) area, maybe a small oven with a pilot light or light bulb, etc.

4. Wait for the sample to dry out, then simply close the baggie completely and store it in the fridge.

To revive it simply hydrate it like any other dry yeast then make a starter.

Let the bubble bursting commence:mug:

I've never heard of anyone doing this, but it's worth a shot! Let us know how it goes, and once you get to the point of trying to make a starter in preparation for a brewday be sure to have some sort of backup yeast on hand just in case it doesn't work out.

Personally, washing yeast has worked out very very well for me.

You never cease to amaze me. If only you'd harness your talents for good...

Oh wait you harness your talents for make beer...That IS good. :)

This kind of reminds me of those ancient yeast sticks that they used to use in the olden days, supposedly. To ferment. They would take a stick and rub it in the trub then let it dry. The next time they were making something they swirled the dried yeast stick in the wort or must or whatever, and it would inooculate it with yeast. Then they would repeat the process the next time.

. . . . .Personally, washing yeast has worked out very very well for me.

Yes, me too, However, I'm just looking for easier ways to keep the "mother" yeast for more longer term, you know for when the 8th gen start mutating and making sour purple beer, etc. Then I can easily start over.:mug:

. . . . . This kind of reminds me of those ancient yeast sticks that they used to use in the olden days, supposedly. To ferment. They would take a stick and rub it in the trub then let it dry. The next time they were making something they swirled the dried yeast stick in the wort or must or whatever, and it would inooculate it with yeast. Then they would repeat the process the next time.

Heheh, I'm an evil yeast mongerer:mad:

Kindof along the same line as the "family brewstick" but hopefully more controlled.

They also used to use yeast cakes that were hardened but I don't know how you would limit stray innoculations in that either nor do I know how that was done, do we have any reeeaaalllyyy reeeeaalllyyy old timers here that have insight on old school "yeast cakes"?:mug:

Aren't most dry yeasts packaged witn nutrients? So they add the nutrients to the slurry or whatever that gets dried? (Likely spray dried.)

Most yeasts will not tolerate drying. That's why there are so many more liquid yeasts than dry types.

But, should you succeed with a formerly liquid yeast, you might be able to get one of the large dry yeast producers interested.

Aren't most dry yeasts packaged witn nutrients? So they add the nutrients to the slurry or whatever that gets dried? (Likely spray dried.)

Hmmm, not sure about that. Would it be to keep them alive or to give them something to gnaw on when they're waking up? An interesting question.:mug:

Maybe I misunderstood this from MrMalty.com

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php#C

fact, with most dry yeasts, placing them in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into the yeast.

I figured they were "wake up" reserves. Maybe it has to do with the point of fermentation that the yeast are suspended. Seems you'd need to take this into account if you were going to try drying.

Most yeasts will not tolerate drying.

Well this is certainly bad news.:(

That's why there are so many more liquid yeasts than dry types.

I was hoping it was due to it being more cost prohibitive to dry:(

But, should you succeed with a formerly liquid yeast, you might be able to get one of the large dry yeast producers interested.

I'm certain they know a ton more about it than I do, meaning why wouldn't they be drying all manner of different yeast if it were possible right?:(

That is sort of helpfull (answered some of those ^ questions), I should have known you were already trying it my yeast mongering brethren:rockin:

Have you had any success yet? It sounds significantly more complicated than what I had in mind.

No, I guess I caved in to the naysayers. I sent a bunch of emails out to the yeast companies and got zero responses. Not surprised.

Latest posts

Back